If the OMD is so good

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by beanedsprout, Jul 1, 2013.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Why do I see so many for sale on here? I'm half tempted to pick one up because of the size and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome, right?), but I'm going to be getting a GH-3 in a couple months and I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to have two cameras. I'm not a fan of Oly's menu system, and I think it the OMD looks really weird, even compared to my Spotmatics. I just dunno if I should get it and then have buyers remorse (like all these other people?) and lose money selling it. Or is it just that people bought so many of them when they were first released? But the new one isn't out yet so what are they switching to?
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    well, people like to swap and upgrade, so with a new model on the horizon an increase in the sale of the last camera it's inevitable.

with that said, I think the only reason there appear to be more for sale is that there are more out there to be sold than any other camera in the first place, given its extreme popularity.
  3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The reason why you see it on the buy and sell so often is because its in high circulation. Its sold alot of units as far mu43 goes. Sh**ty products dont get sold so quickly and keep selling a year later, both new or used
  4. rtb001

rtb001 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Rochester NY
    If you're going to get a GH-3, which is a pretty high end m43 camera on its own, it wouldn't make sense to have that AND an OMD.

If I had either a GH-3 or OMD, and wanted a second camera, I would probably go small as both (but esp GH-3) are on the large side for m43 cameras. Why not get something like a GF or EPM series of camera with the $50 Olympus pinhole lens? This way your second camera will be basically pocket-able, not much more expensive but still have better image quality than any standard point and shoot (even with the pinhole lens), and in a pinch, be able to use all the good m43 lenses.

Alternatively, spend similarish amount of money on something different (and still smallish) like a used X100.

Either way, to me it seem illogical to own 2 top of the line m43 camera bodies with similar size and features.
  5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    IBIS -- In Body Image Stabilization. Sorry if you knew this and were making a funny. Just wanted to set the record straight.

As for buyer's remorse, I don't think that's the reason for most of the people selling them. It's simply a case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome,) where people like to buy a camera, use it for a short time, then buy something else.) I used to be stricken with it myself. I think many people are buying the GH3, EP5, etc.

If you are planning on buying a GH3 soon, I really don't see any reason to buy the OMD. Do you currently have a :43: camera?
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    well, that's the thing about getting a popular product used - if you buy at the going rate, you can sell at the going rate as well without too much trouble :smile:
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    You won't see mine for sale. In fact when I am once more gainfully employed, I'll probably get a second body. Love the camera.
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OMD is the best MFT camera along with GH3 and Olympus sold them a lot . Many people even have two bodies . It's more than a year old and new OMD is gonna be announced soon. So it's the best time to sell OMDs now. Moreover newer Olympus EP5 shows what is coming next . There are no ifs and buts .. OMD made more news headlines all over the world, OMD brought MFT into the limelight, OMD made people switch and the best thing is ..It delivered the IQ which people were hoping or wanted . Now if u find OMD weird then don't get it please .. It's very likely that you will be dissatisfied as you already have a negative frame of mind towards it . Buy a camera which u think will go well with you .There is nothing wrong with Olympus menu , it can be customised according to your convenience . Now have a look at this as well ...and finally IBS = Impulsive Buying Syndrome :wink::wink::happy-084:

From Estonia with love (Round the World awesome ADVenture!!) - ADVrider

MotoJournalism: From Estonia With Love - Part Two
  9. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Currently I own three. And yes I was trying to make a funny. :drinks:

I should probably pick up a bottlecap:evilsmile: lens for the GX-1.

I like the OMD because it's small and weather sealed, but I'm very comfortable with the Panasonic menu systems compared to my E-PL1 even though the Oly seems to be more customizable. Too bad the GX-1 isn't weather sealed, that would be a great backup for my eventual GH-3. I guess I'll just keep having to use plastic bags.
  10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I bought an OM-D and I'm selling my Canon 5D Mark II and my L lenses...it's THAT good. ;)
  11. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I have a OM-D and by far its been my favorite camera ever. However I do have a GH3 coming to compare. My only gripe is that I personally find the OM-D borders on too small. I have the full grip on 80% of the time, which really means for me the GH3 might be smaller (sans grip). There are a few operational idiosyncrasies of the OM-D that bug me as well but I'm sure the GH3 has its share too.

I'm still really not decided though, the om-d is such a great camera, in some aspects the GH3 is a step back. One or the other will be on the buy sell soon, but it could end up being the gh3.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I second this Andrew ..I did a portrait shoot of a friend the other day. She was damn impressed with my PRO looking camera with full grip and FL600 flash ( read EM5 with grip). After the shoot we had lunch I showed her the pics first on my iPad and then took off grip n lens and showed her OMD .. She was shocked . OMD is a highly versatile camera provided you knowledge it :thumbup:
  13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    My OMD EM-5 arrived today, I do like it, there's something about it that just makes it good.
    It's vert compact and the ergonomics are OK but I can see why folk like the grip.
    I have a GH3 and G5 too, the Oly is very different from them, not better, not worse, just different so I look forward to seeing which camera I end up using the most.
    Oly UK have a free grip promotion so will be keen to see how it feels with the grip.
    Frankly I think having the GH3 and OMD is the perfect combo, both very different cameras but each has it's own strengths and weaknesses mostly in feel and ergonomics, from my impressions so far the IQ is the same both excellent.

14. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Just did that and have NO regrets!!
  15. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    If you want a true marker of how good of a product the OM-D is, look not just at how many of them are selling, but its resale value.

For example, look at the price to buy one new and the time it's been out, and compare it to the same time for other M4/3 cameras. Most M4/3 cameras list, brand new, for little over half their original prices within a year. Despite the fact that most M4/3 users know a new OM-D camera is coming and that there are many more options on the market, the E-M5 is still only selling for 90% of original price tag. It's probably the first M4/3 camera with that lifespan.

Keep in mind when the O-MD arrived, it was unquestionably the Micro Four Thirds camera with the best image quality. For most people that was enough to justify the purchase. Now, you have the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, and GH3 giving you the exact same image while providing advantages of their own, whether they be in price or features .

And as mentioned, many people bought two bodies.
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    One of the reasons you see so many for sale is that so many people bought them.
  17. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    That's the reason that in film days there were always so many more Nikons for sale than other brands.
  18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Depending on your needs and preferences, two m4/3 bodies can make a lot of sense, and if it does, having one from each side of the family tree can offer flexibility and other advantages that aren't available if you confine yourself to just Olympus or just Panasonic. The fastest lens change in the world is a New York Reload. :wink:
  19. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I shoot Oly primes on the Olympus and Panasonic zooms on a G5 for just this reason. I'll mix and match, but that's generally my go to "lens change."

When I got Dad's 1957 Asahi Pentax back in the day, the prism was all beat up from being one of at least two around his neck during pj assignments in Newark.

20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I'm really glad to hear stuff like that!! It's not easy, for the past 6 years, I've worked my way up from a Rebel with a kit lens to my current top-notch Canon setup...but I just don't think it's *THAT* much better than the Olympus. On the other hand, the Olympus is a crazy amount smaller, more stealthy and lighter. Since most of my photography is travel shooting, the Oly has a lot going for it, and the Canon very little...