If the Lumix g9 has been discontinued...

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Reports abound re the Lumix G9 flagship camera. Released in December 2017. Being discontinued, heavily discounted and unavailable. No comments from Panasonic. CES has been and gone with no mention of M43 releases. Panasonic have said that they would be at Photokina 2020. That is at the end of May. Any news out there...

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Is there any reliable source for this rumor?
At least here in Germany the G9 is abundantly available.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
I’m very sad to hear that! The G9 is a superb camera, but the world is fixated on video capabilities and of course the G9 is stills oriented. Sadly in my eyes Panasonic is striving to turn the G9 into just another video machine of which there are a zillion alternatives! It seems that the rest of the world wants video cameras, and in my eyes the G9 is a beacon in the darkness?

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
who says its being discontinued? I haven't seen anything from anyone even close to reputable.

You can still buy GH4's (released may 2014), and G7's (released june 2015) new, so I'd find it damn hard to believe they are going to discontinue the G9.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m very sad to hear that! The G9 is a superb camera, but the world is fixated on video capabilities and of course the G9 is stills oriented. Sadly in my eyes Panasonic is striving to turn the G9 into just another video machine of which there are a zillion alternatives!

we have no proof it's being discontinued, not even from the super sketchy rumor sites.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Considering they just did a big 2.0 firmware update, it would be odd to just dump it right after that. B&H is still selling it, and no longer for the $200 discount. It’s back at $1200. I just bought mine recently, and they honored the 3 year warranty extension.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
who says its being discontinued? I haven't seen anything from anyone even close to reputable.

You can still buy GH4's (released may 2014), and G7's (released june 2015) new, so I'd find it damn hard to believe they are going to discontinue the G9.
Dan, I do so hope you are right.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Just because one shop website happens to say 'discontinued' it doesn't make it so. Maybe the only way the Jessops website has to pull existing product for whatever reason is to mark it as such.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
While unrelated, I thought I remember comments after the G9 came out that in the future Panasonic may release a single camera and you would pay for either video or stills advanced extras like their V Log. Be interesting to see what they will do in the future.

Someone with a better memory may correct this.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
I've lost count of how many threads I've read over the years about some Panasonic camera or other being discontinued. Usually it turns out to be incorrect, so I'm not too concerned for now.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few years back i wanted to purchase an item from B&H that was released a few months prior and it was listed as 'discontinued'. After some searching, I read some place that B&H has some stupid thing built into their system where at times items are temporarily listed as 'discontinued';

It was something like the following.
  • If they don't have anymore inventory, but they have an order placed with the manufacture it's listed as 'out of stock'.
  • If they don't have anymore inventory, but they have an order inbound from the manufacture or it's sitting in the warehouse waiting to be processed it's listed as 'More on the Way'.
  • If they don't have anymore inventory, and no order placed or inbound from the manufacture, its listed as 'discontinued'.

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Panasonic is discontinuing the name G9 - in the US it will be called the G901; in Japan the G Fair lady, in China th G9.-108 Lucky Man; in E. Canada it will be called the G=putine; in BC it will be called the Gchez9whiz; in Italy...

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Amazon UK have removed their listing for G9 body only. They still have some 3rd party seller listings, and their own G9 + lens bundle listings.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
This was a thing back during Christmas when the bodies were discounted down to $850. I too have a hard time believing they'd invest that much time into a firmware update only to drop the model.

Unless...maybe we're the guinea pigs! They want to see if their updates work in the real world before they introduce the Gchez9whiz!

Amazon U.S. still shows the G9 in all different packages, including body only.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom