1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If someone want more of my money...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rklepper, May 15, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    ...they will develop either a 300 f/4 or a 400f/5.6 prime for m4/3 cameras. But scaled proportionately for m4/3. I would buy both in a heart beat. And no they wouldn't have to be huge and cost a bundle. Should be able to do both smaller than the equivalent Canon and for less than $2000. I am just so unimpressed with my 100-300 that I may get another 7D just for the longer end.

2. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    Panasonic is developing a 150mm f/2.8 (eqv 300mm) due to be released later this year. Also rumor has it the next generation OMD is going to be able to switch between micro four thirds and four thirds lenses, if this is true, a (used) 150mm f/2 is a great option plus add the tele-converter and your pretty much set.

3. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    I hear exactly what you're saying, but its worth noting that there is a diminished advantage to smaller camera systems, in terms of the size and weight of lenses, as the lens gets longer and longer. So "scaled to m4/3" is only applicable at the shorter focal lengths. The reason has to do with the diminished relevance of the image circle and the increased relevance of the entrance diameter.

When a lens is wide-to-normal, the image circle has a big impact on the physical size of the lens because the entrance diameters are already far larger than they theoretically need to be. Thus a normal prime for full frame is considerably larger than a normal prime for APS-C, which in turn is larger than what is necessary for m4/3.

But the situation changes when you start running into the entrance objective diameter. A 300 f4 lens MUST have an opening no smaller than 300 divided by 4, or 75mm, plus a little extra for margin of error. (Incidentally, this is why many people, myself included, suspect the Nikkor 300 AFS f4 with its 77mm filter thread cheats a little on its actual max aperture). So whether your image circle is full frame or m4/3, a 300mm f4 is essentially the same physical size and weight because the focal length (300mm) and entrance diameter (75+mm) are the same regardless of image sensor.

Case in point, the Olympus 300 f2.8 for 4/3 is 3.3 kg and the Nikkor 300 f2.8 AFS VRII is actually lighter, at 2.9 kg, despite the Olympus is for the system that has a much smaller image circle.

4. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    How would they do that? Isn't it two physically different mounts?

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks, I did not know all of that. Well for now I think I am shopping for a legacy long prime to see how that goes. If not it is a 7D for me.

:)

6. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    Its a rumor all over the web Olympus patented a camera design that will enable the use of four thirds and micro four thirds lens in the same body, I tend to not believe rumors and prefer to wait for the actual announcement. I think what most likely will happen is the improvement and optimization of phase detection which would help the focusing mechanism in four thirds lenses onto micro four thirds body's (perhaps in the form of an on/off switch). There is also another rumor floating somewhere in the web, the new olympus EP5 focuses faster with a four thirds lens adapter mounted on a four thirds lens body, somewhere the ball park of 30-40%. Unfortunately whether all this information is true or not has yet to be confirmed.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    While entrance pupil is limited, using newer materials and smarter optics does have the advantage of making the lenses shorter and lighter. They still won't be small, but compare e.g. Canon's 400/4 DO with their 400/5.6 (same length, a stop faster), and their current 500/4 with their previous one (35% lighter).

But I don't think Olympus or Panasonic are up for such exotic designs at this point.

8. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Uhhh, 3.3kG? 2.9kG? I don't want a workout, I just want to snap pretty pictures. 7lbs for a goddamn lens. lolz. nah brah, I'm good.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    3.3 kg is about what my entire MFT kit weights. That's covering all focal lengths from 7mm to 300mm, a few primes, and various necessary accessories.