If not the 12-35mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, then what?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hionhifi, Aug 3, 2013.

1. hionhifi

hionhifi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    California
    I currently have the Panasonic DMC-G6 and the Canon EOS M. I'm trying both to see which I like best. The Canon has great image quality and a huge number lens available with full electronic support. The Panasonic G6 has great features and a traditional DSLR form factor not to mention flip out screen and EVF.

The issue really comes down to lens.
    After alot of m/43 lens reviews I get the sense that while a few of the native lens are stellar this isn't the standard. Many are good to ok. Furthermore the pricing for m/43 lens is high. For the price of a good zoom lens in an m/43 format I can buy a steller APS-C lens.

The EOS M on the other had has access (by use of EOS M to EF adapter) to one of the largest lens catalogs in the world. Many are highly regarded and widely used by professionals.

NOTE: I know m/43 bodies can use manual focus lenses. I've been there done that. I'm not interested.

For my needs currently I need the proverbial camera that can do it all.
    It needs to be able to:
    • Shoot video at sports games, school events and birthday parties.
    • Photograph sports games, school events and birthday parties indoors and outdoors.
    • Fill in as a 2nd shooter for a friend at a wedding. Video and Photography.
    • Be relatively compact and light for travel.

I know this is alot of requirements for a camera but the G6 seems to check all the boxes. And it takes great pictures to boot. The only problem I see potentially is quality glass compared to the quality of glass and lens selection of Canon EF/EF-S/EF-M mount lens.

Based on the many reviews of each lens I've read from online publications with objective testing methodologies in place I feel the following lens are overpriced for the performance the offer.
    1. Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH ($1000)
    2. Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 ($749)
    3. Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm f1.4 ($599)

What fast lens would you get to cover 12mm-50mm?

I was thinking of adding the Olympus 17mm f/1.8, and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 to my current stable of lens. It would add more to my kit, but their small lens so it's not nearly as heavy a DSLR with lens would be.

Your thoughts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.