If not the 12-35mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, then what?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hionhifi, Aug 3, 2013.

1. hionhifi

hionhifi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I currently have the Panasonic DMC-G6 and the Canon EOS M. I'm trying both to see which I like best. The Canon has great image quality and a huge number lens available with full electronic support. The Panasonic G6 has great features and a traditional DSLR form factor not to mention flip out screen and EVF.

The issue really comes down to lens.
    After alot of m/43 lens reviews I get the sense that while a few of the native lens are stellar this isn't the standard. Many are good to ok. Furthermore the pricing for m/43 lens is high. For the price of a good zoom lens in an m/43 format I can buy a steller APS-C lens.

The EOS M on the other had has access (by use of EOS M to EF adapter) to one of the largest lens catalogs in the world. Many are highly regarded and widely used by professionals.

NOTE: I know m/43 bodies can use manual focus lenses. I've been there done that. I'm not interested.

For my needs currently I need the proverbial camera that can do it all.
    It needs to be able to:
    • Shoot video at sports games, school events and birthday parties.
    • Photograph sports games, school events and birthday parties indoors and outdoors.
    • Fill in as a 2nd shooter for a friend at a wedding. Video and Photography.
    • Be relatively compact and light for travel.

I know this is alot of requirements for a camera but the G6 seems to check all the boxes. And it takes great pictures to boot. The only problem I see potentially is quality glass compared to the quality of glass and lens selection of Canon EF/EF-S/EF-M mount lens.

Based on the many reviews of each lens I've read from online publications with objective testing methodologies in place I feel the following lens are overpriced for the performance the offer.
    1. Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH ($1000)
    2. Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 ($749)
    3. Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm f1.4 ($599)

What fast lens would you get to cover 12mm-50mm?

I was thinking of adding the Olympus 17mm f/1.8, and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 to my current stable of lens. It would add more to my kit, but their small lens so it's not nearly as heavy a DSLR with lens would be.

Your thoughts?