If not m4/3 then... what?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by mesmerized, Sep 8, 2016.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Dear Users,

I'm pondering over the possibility of changing the system in the future and perhaps it's worthwhile to ask what your thoughts on other systems are. To put it simply, if you were to make a switch (or even simpler, if you were starting from scratch A.D. 2016) what system would you use? Would it be a Sony FF camera? Would it be Fuji's X-system? Would it be a... DSLR?

Take care,
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    myself it would be a m43rd system again.
    Probably a GX85 instead of the GF1 GH1 pair I have now. Maybe an EM5 mk2

Had dslr and indeed slr for the first 30 years, doesn't bring anything to my photography needs anymore.

Dunno how that helps your needs
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Hasselblad X1D w/45/3.5 and 90/3.2 would be my starting from scratch first choice. I've been waiting for a non-SLR medium format.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    In my opinion, right now Micro 4/3 is the best combo of size, quality and features. I think the biggest contender in this space is... Canon EOS M. If rumors are to be believed, the EOS M5 will be a very competitive camera, and it will work seamlessly (with the help of an inexpensive adapter) with Canon's current lens line-up. Canon is already #2 in worldwide mirrorless sales, and its market share will only grow.
    • Wow Wow x 1
  5. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    I've only moved from DSLR to M43 in recent months, so my choice would still be M43. I'd only consider changing if my photographic needs were to shift, and a big sensor or perfect c-af became essential to my photographs. They are not needed at the mo, so I'm very content with the gear I have.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've dabbled with the Sony A7 and Fuji X systems recently (buying a body and one lens for each). Whilst both have some advantages over u43, I'm still seeing u43 as my ideal system as a whole. The combination of size, usability and IQ is unique. BUT - that's just my view based on my needs.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    If only Fuji had ibis, i would really consider it as an Option. Or at least if i had Budget extensive enough to get all IS lenses i like / want to work with.

Sony System just feels wrong for me.
    Say what you want but Sony stays for me as Electronics manufacturer with all pro's and cons. Only Sony camera that felt right to me - nex7.

I'm not saying that a7ii is a bad camera it was and stays as my second choice after em5ii.
    But since i don't see myself investing into Sony pro zooms f2.8, it stays for me more like a street/fun/portraiture camera.

Even starting from scratch(which i did) i don't see myself moving from mft, unless there are some real changes.

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Well, I certainly made the right decision to get into m43 in 2012, but to be honest if I were starting from scratch now, I'd probably invest in the Fuji system. Their products at the moment are just quality as well as damn sexy and provide value, you just don't need third party lenses with those cameras. But that's irrelevant for me now, I'm deep into the m43 system and perfectly happy with the choice I made. However, I am preparing to go the DSLR route as well. My reasoning is that unlike probably most people on this forum, I haven't owned one and, because it is bound to be completely different to m43, I'd like to experience it. Not straight away though, I'm going to wait till Nikon updates their D7xx/D8xx line which probably won't happen till the first half of next year. But that gives me time to save and buy lenses in the meantime in preparation for the new models. I feel that if I were to get into the Fuji or Sony systems now, they'd be close enough in feel, operation and, yes, IQ (apologies @kevinparis@kevinparis) for me to keep constantly comparing them as being similar to m43. Not much chance of that with a tank-like optical viewfinding DSLR setup, in fact I'd imagine the DSLR and m43 setups would be so different that it would warrant keeping both. Hope that provides some food for thought.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Interesting question to consider. Apart from my :mu43: system that I love, I own and enjoy a full Nikon system (FX: D750, DX: D5500 - and I even still have a CX camera (the V1), but that's a different story). I was initally drawn to the Sony A7 II when it came out, but did test the D750 alongside it - which made me change my mind and go FF DSLR. The D750 performed so convincingly and felt so good in the hand that the way smaller, but less responsive and somewhat quirkier Sony didn't stand a chance. As you will know, the Nikons use Sony sensors that perform great - so it wasn't actually a question of IQ in the end, but one of handling and habit (I've been a SLR/DSLR shooter for over 30 years now ...). The :mu43: system, however, has grown steadily alongside the DSLR system - its decisive advantages being size, weight and something that has been called "sufficiency": In many cases, :mu43: images are more than good enough for my needs. Apart from that, I simply love the user experience on my :mu43: cameras. The DSLRs handle well, too (though differently), but mainly, both of them outperform any of my :mu43: cameras when used for certain tasks (events, people/portraiture, landscape, documentary - especially when lighting conditions are out of my control and/or lights are low), but are clearly less useful for others (travel, street, EDC - sometimes even documentary if I need to keep a low profile) for which in turn I prefer :mu43:. I'm happy to state that I don't regret any of my choices (and luckily, only surprisingly few of my many acquistions - I'm a hoarder, unfortunately ...).

That said, if I were to start over, I'd probably take another very good look at Sony's offerings, specifically, the A6300 - its sensor is a known quantity for me (I'm pretty familiar with its predecessor in the D5500) and very desirable, the EVF is gorgeous, operation on the whole is quick and smooth, including AF - but ... it still doesn't feel like a "real" camera in use; it's distinctly laggy to turn on, for instance, compared to the next-to-immediate switch-on time of the E-M10, let alone the instant readiness of the D5500. Changing exposure settings can be clunky and is certainly less direct than I'd like it to be. If Sony managed to produce something of that size that felt as enjoyable and functional in the hand as the E-M10, I'd be all over it. Another factor adding to the basic appeal of the Sony APS-C system is that one of the best lenses I bought in the last couple of months, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DN C, is also availabe with Sony's E mount, with the mirrorless version being better *as well as* slightly smaller and lighter than the DSLR version (the 30mm f/1.4 Art ...).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    DSLRs and mirrorless are surely very different, and like you I had never owned a DSLR before. But my foray into DSLR land with a Pentax K-S2 was a short lived one. I couldn't get over the ergonomic hangups, I hadn't realized how valuable the EVF was for extracting optimal quality out of exposures (no need to chimp), and the use with MF lenses is just so, so much nicer on mirrorless.

It was a nice experiment, but it made me feel very comfortable with my choice in the end. Unless you have a really specific need for their specific advantages (I.e continuous AF, very long single battery life) DSLRs just feel like the past to me. This from a guy that still enjoys his film cameras...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Still have to be m4/3 i changed due to not being able to manage the weight of a DSLR and 150-600 any more,no matter which other system you look at add a good birding lens and the weight grows.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Depends on your needs and budget I suppose.

If I was filthy rich I'd run two systems. Medium Format and Micro Four Thirds.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    I think this is hard to answer without knowing what kind of photography you do and what your priorities are.

These days, I factor ergonomics and interface much higher than I used to. Photography is a hobby for me and I want my experience with the camera to be engaging and fun. The availability, size, weight and relative performance of the lenses is also a big factor for me.

For travel photography where photography is not the only purpose of the travel I think m4/3 is king. The primary reason is portability of the lenses.

If capturing fast action and rapidly moving objects is your priority I think the real viewfinder in an SLR is still your best bet. Not that you can't capture these images with a mirrorless camera but if I was picking my tool of choice I would definitely prefer to not use an EVF.

If image quality is your primary concern I would look at Sony's FF offerings. The reason I have never bought into Sony is that I just don't enjoy the way they handle but they certainly have some great technology and offer strong features.

If image quality is your *only* concern than look at one of the medium format offerings. Looks like things are about to get more interesting in this space in the near future.

I don't shoot all that much long telephoto personally but it seems like there are more and more solid options in this area. Virtually all the crop offerings have good glass that can get you in the neighborhood of 600mm 35mm equivalent.

If I had no camera in my gear in my closet and could only own one system I think I would have trouble deciding between Olympus e-m and Fuji x. I find both systems to have good ergonomics. m4/3 has significant size and weight advantages, especially in the mid-range lenses. On the other hand Fuji offers better image quality and still can be fairly light with appropriate lens choices. On top of that the Fuji X system is built entirely around APS-C which makes it more interesting to me than APS-C offerings from other manufactures.

At the end of the day, I am glad I don't need to choose only one system because I would inevitably be making lots of compromises.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Either m4/3 or Fuji. Theoretical image quality is already better than my camera skills and I wouldn't want something bigger than the medium sized mirrorless cameras and lenses. The big things I want in my next camera will be IBIS and great jpegs, and I can get either now with both Olympus and Panasonic, but I can't get IBIS with Fuji.

That said, it feels like there is real innovation in cell phone cameras -- the combo of wizbang software, multiple lenses, and perhaps multiple sensors could eventually get things to a point where a cell phone makes more sense. The extreme profitability of cell phones (well Apple and Samsung anyway) means that these companies can spend a lot more on R&D than a company like Olympus. They aren't there yet and I'm an old-fashioned slow adopter, but I can see them getting there in the next few years.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    In 2014 I thought for me the EM10 was the best compromise between size, weight and technical quality. I'm not getting any younger and my hands aren't getting any better, so if I had to switch from m43 I'd take a close look at the Panny LX-100. And, if the rumors are true, the Canon EOS M 5
  16. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Biggest non-MFT temptation would be an A7 with adapted manual lenses
    • Like Like x 1
  17. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I'll give up my micro four thirds when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

Toes too, if you count my third camera.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    I shoot Nikon FX and m4/3.

If started over again, I think I would still choose Nikon. For all that I pay in size and weight of the kit, I've been very happy with the combination of ergonomics, backward compatibility, and pretty much every aspect of performance, but especially low light action photography.

Unfortunately, my m4/3 experiment seems to be ending up mostly as that: an experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    I shoot Nikon FX, DX and m43. Each of them have their uses. M43 is for travels and leisure and now serious macros, DX is for long bird and nature treks with a Nikon 200-500 and a combination of FX and DX for serious long lens wildlife shooting and paid work. If I was to start again I would have picked the same combo again. the mirror less APSC systems do not excite me as m43 is quite close to them and Nikon DX is better than most of them. I find no gain in having a mirror less APSC system as the DX Nikon is very important to what I shoot and can use all my FX lenses.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Interesting thread. If I was to start again I'd shoot only one thing as shooting motorsport, cars, kids, landscapes, bmx etc etc is a PiTA. Like everyone, I want the perfect man for all seasons system - small and light but with great DR and AF

I loved my Nikon - it tracked everything almost perfectly, had great IQ. I hated it's weight and having to fine tune the flipping lenses.

I love my e-m1. There's no way I could get the Nikon equivalent to my set up in a slingbag. I love the instant AF for portraits and the IBIS. I hate the mush that comes when pushing shadows, I hate the battery life and I hate the AF tracking ability. I level the EVF but hate the blackouts

So what next ? I'm considering going to a d500 - I don't think I need FF. But the em1 II is coming in a few months so what will that offer ?