If m4/3 is dead, why are new cameras coming? :)

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Coming from using an iPhone for my resurgent interest in photography, when I finally started researching ILC a decent touchscreen seemed super-important, and led to my GX7. I still think there's a future for cameras with app capability and am a bit surprised we haven't seen more of this by now.

Last edited:

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Neat. Sounds like terrible execution, but its something I've wondered about ever since those posts from 8-9 years ago about "what would you like to see in the next m43 camera?"
Not the phone specifically, but extending the camera to be more open - a plugin architecture / developer / app-store ecosystem. Alas, camera manufacturers seem reluctant to embrace the very thing that is slowly killing them. Flipside, the craptacular phone software also shows how much optimisation goes into camera firmware to make them do what they do well.
Put in a micro-sim slot, bluetooth & wireless - with wireless headphones becoming more commonplace the traditional "phone" doesn't need to look like a phone anymore.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Poor implementation of an interesting idea. The benefit of incorporating Android OS or iOS into a camera is that it opens up the camera to cell service, social apps, and possibly the fancy processing algorithms that phones are currently leading the way with. And developers. Developers. Developers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom