1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If it's too good to be true... [Oilpaintinghand.com]

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Humiliated_grape, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Humiliated_grape

Humiliated_grape Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Melanie
    I came across a website when I was searching for a Panasonic 20mm for sale. Its address is cell phone, Digital Cameras,Digital Camera Lenses and it seems to be selling m4/3 gear for ridiculously cheap prices. So much so that I almost feel silly asking, but has anyone come across this website or know about its authenticity? For example, it's selling the Panny 20mm for $239 and the E-P3 for $470.

I've always believed that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is, but I just thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folk here.

**Note from Amin: Probably not a good idea to click on the link and check out the site. Suspicious sites are more likely to spread malware, and this site is definitely suspicious.**

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Hmmm.... Would you call your photography hardware site oilpaintinghand? Site has been up a very short time..... hotmail contact address. I think I'd give this one a miss.

WHOIS:

Registrant:
    oilpainting
    234 i ave
    ohio, North Carolina 54323
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (Go Daddy Mobile - Domain Search, Go Daddy Commercials)
    Domain Name: OILPAINTINGHAND.COM
    Created on: 23-Jan-12
    Expires on: 23-Jan-13
    Last Updated on: 23-Jan-12

Administrative Contact:
    case, make @hotmail.com
    oilpainting
    234 i ave
    United States

Technical Contact:
    case, make @hotmail.com
    oilpainting
    234 i ave
    United States

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS15.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS16.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

3. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    Buy something and let us know. Looks very fishy.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Looks dubious, to say the least. I've not seen a Panasonic 20/1.7 sold new for less than $325 in a good long while. Most of the time, they're not even in stock.

DH

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If these were used prices I'd be suspicious. They are way to low as new.

Though I would love to be wrong I would not take a chance.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm F2.0 SWD for $21. :rolleyes:

If only. :biggrin:

I was scammed on eBay several years ago by a guy who built up a good reputation for shipping stuff cheap. Then he put out a large number of buy now sales really cheap and then skipped town. This site might ship a few items to get some positive feedback and then take the money and run on subsequent sales.

7. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Well they're advertising the latest 17" Macbook with solid state drive for $222 and a Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 Aspherical for $21 US :eek:

I can only think that

a) the goods are slightly damaged because they've fallen off the back of a lorry:wink:

b) that they don't have them in stock and it will prove impossible to get a refund.

Generally if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish then it is definitely fishy.

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  9. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I have a feeling that somebody is experimenting with some ecommerce software, and had no intention of going live on the internet with dummy SKUs and prices.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "A Canon 600/f4 for $8.00 with 100 units in stock?"
    This is obviously erroneous; deceptive at best; however, they are listing the Oly 45mm at $319; only $80 lower than the Amazon $399 price.

I wonder if those outrageous prices are mere placeholders for when the item becomes actually in stock.

I'm ordering this.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Google maps can't find any such place as "Ohio, NC" And the zip code listed is, according to USPS, not a valid zip code.

That should answer the question. Scam all the way.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    From their website:
    "About Us

Company Information

We are a world-renowned online shopping club in the United States and your doorway to affordable products at greatly discounted prices. We regularly search a whole raft of latest styles porducts., purses and stuff like those.":rofl:

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    My guess is that they are building a website and have no idea that it's live.

Or they are scammers with the lowest IQ ever.

15. tgmosher

tgmosher New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I found these statements on the website rather odd:

"We will arrange the shipment in 5-15days after your order and full payment is made. But if your item is unfortunately out of stock, we will inform you immediately and hope you will choose other shoes, if you won't reply our email in time, your order will not be shipped out."

"We have recently established several online branches where our members are equally enthusiastic about the great deals on sale and jaw dropping savings. Planning for continued expansion is underway so stay tuned! For customer service enquiries, please use the contact us link on our homepage."

Of course, no where can I find a contact address or phone number.

16. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    I'm sure it is just fine, you folks really need to not be so suspicious of everything. Enjoy life a little. On a completely unrelated note, I happen to own a wonderful bridge in Brooklyn that I would be willing to let go for a very reasonable price. You can shoot many wonderful photos of the bridge if you own it! If you're interested, just let me know...

17. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    They are fine.

I can vouch for them because I own ALL the businesses within a 10-block radius of them.

"Yeah, yeah that's it. And my wife, Mooo...gan Fairchild is the Ops Manager. She runs all those businesses for me. Yeah, yeah that's the ticket."

18. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    ...cell phone, Digital Cameras,Digital Camera Lenses...

I'll let everyone know. I've placed an order but explained to them in the 'comments' section that payment will have to wait until the direct deposit I'm expecting from a former Nigerian minister is in my account.

:wink:

Regards,

Jim

19. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "...the direct deposit I'm expecting from a former Nigerian minister"
    It's probably coming from the same place so if you are going to receive the deposit, tell them to deduct the amount of your order. That way, nothing is coming out of your pocket.:biggrin:

20. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

"I TRIPLE-dog dare you!"

And then all the guys run away when the bell rings and he's there with his tongue stuck to the pole.