If it walks like a Duck

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Paul80, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
  2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would say there is a high chance they are not genuine, do 7 dayshop do a version of your battery as I have never had an issue with their batteries, also I have had no issues with inov8 ones bought from Amazon for little money. May be safer to buy them over some off ebay they are not from a UK shop.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    These are likely genuine Panasonic batteries manufactured by a 2nd-tier supplier for the non-US market (look at the logo at the lower right on the battery in the upper left image of that link) OR, they are "seconds" that failed to meet certain criteria such as minimum capacity, minimum open-circuit voltage, voltage sag under nominal load, packaging critical dimensions, or from a sample batch that was tested and deemed below the part number's Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) threshold.

All this engineering mumbo-jumbo does not, necessarily, mean that these are inadequate or defective. For the second condition that I expressed, it just means that these items did not meet certain manufacturing requirements as stated on the purchaser's (Panasonic) buy order and the maker's (supplier's) Statement of Work (SOW).

That is how these items can be priced so much more lower than the "1st-tier" batches. Just like anything, many bargains can be had when buying in the secondary market. One has to be very careful when purchasing them. Without measuring devices to verify their performance or post-manufacturing test results, the buyer is left with the ONLY recourse when a product is found to perform less than the desired results: return for exchange or replacement.

I rarely buy "genuine OEM" batteries because I have sophisticated measuring devices to test them; however, it I did not, I would perform at least two, back-to-back longevity tests AFTER two full-charge cycles to determine "under actual load" performance. I generally keep the product if it performs 90% or greater than the comparable fairly-new OEM equivalent. WHEN the product performs greater than 115%, there is a likelihood that the capacity is greater than the controls circuits in the mainframe (camera, camcorder, etc.) is able to regulate and may be a sign that the product may induce failure to that mainframe eventually. Remember that too much of a good thing is not, necessarily, good. That is my personal rule.

Sorry for that engineering lecture...:frown:

Good luck!

Caveat emptor...