If I were to keep only one of them...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Neftun, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I find myself having something of a luxury problem... I try to bring lenses with different properties in my photobag when I´m out and about.

My problem is this: Which lens do I bring? The M.Zuiko 75mmf1.8, or the OM Zuiko 90mm f2? If I were to keep only one, free up some cash, get some more different gear, (oly 12mm, 17mm, 60mm) which should I keep?
    The 75 has af, and slightly lower weight.
    The 90 has closefocus, and even shallower DOF. But no af, and less aperturesettings. And is quite bulky with the adapter.

I enjoy both as walkaround lenses, actually.

Some samples, the top two are the 75, the bottom two the 90.

Attached Files:

2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    It's always the money ;-) If it wasn't an issue, the answer would be clear. Autofocus of course. Then again, we usually don't use that FL so often, so...

I'm struggling between existing 75 and tempting 35-100 ;-)

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I´m not sure i follow your argument. From what I´ve seen, the 90 sells for more on ebay than an used 75... And I don´t really mind mf:)

4. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    If you don't mind AF, then take the cheaper.

I think you should mind If you look of your examples. The child is sharp as can be, but with the man you have missed the right focusing spot (assuming it's not his hands) :biggrin:

EDIT: See, I think lenses with shallow DOF you always benefit AF. Generally anyhow. I think both are excellent lenses.

5. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I certainly do not mind af:) I have had more than a few missed shots with the 75, though; moving subjects is not within the em5/75mm combo's comfort zone, and that's annoying. Might as well not shoot moving stuff, and focus manually. And the 90 is lovely to focus:)

I haven't mastered any of them yet, and I feel I should before deciding to make any sales.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Keep the Native 75mm f1.8 lens.

My viewpoint on adapted lenses is this: They are great alternatives when they are either significantly cheaper or significantly faster or significantly better optically on Micro 4/3 than the lenses that were built for the system. The 90mm f2, while a great lens, is none of those things. And plus, manual focus and only metering at the shooting aperture makes it less convenient than the 75mm f1.8.

Unless you also intend to use the 90 mm f2 on some other system, such as a 4/3 DSLR, or an OM film camera - or switching to NEX or Samsung, it would be silly to keep it instead of the 75mm f1.8

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Ah, that's the thing, isn't it? I do not agree that the 75 is superior. It is only superior in one aspect, and that is longitunal CA wide open. If you have a look in its image thread (mine are the only pics there still:(), there are not many of my faves the 75mm could have done as well. I like abstracts, and the 75 is fun for that, but I keep bumping into its closest focus distance...

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'd base the decision on how often you find yourself needing/using the macro functionality.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Tough choice.

Even when using MF on both though, don't you find the longer focus throw of the macro to make focus slow and difficult in fast-moving situations? I don't have the Zuiko 90mm/2 specifically, but all the other macros I've owned (both digital and film) have been slow and tedious to focus in "general purpose" shooting due to the precise focus range. This is the main reason I tend to use macros for macro only and other lenses for other purposes.

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    It would be a no-brainer for me. Keep the 75, sell the 90, buy a 60mm natice or a cheaper legacy macro. I dont mind MF either, but auto is just too nice. And I'm pretty sure the 75mm would have a shallower DOF. What you are seeing in the 90 as a shallower DOF is the product of background compression and closer focus abilities

11. rkris

rkris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    If you didn't have any of the two lenses and needed a lense in that focal range, which one do you think you would have bought? The native lense would certainly have been my first choice.

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Which do you find yourself sticking on the camera more? Are there shots you could have gotten with only one of the two? Since it is posing such a hard choice, are there other options to sell to fund your new gear? Overall, I would try pretending to not have each available for a while, and see which is more frustrating. If both, then maybe they serve enough of a different function to prompt you looking into other options.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Keep the 75 and buy some extension tubes. There are sets that go for $30 or so on Amazon and maintain AF. I have a set and they work fine.

14. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    That is good advice.

I have been doing this with the 90 for a few days now, taking the 75 only today to mix things up:) If a good image comes along I'll post it:)

15. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    That sounds interesting. I'll check it out;)

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Why do you think a 75mm f1.8 would have shallower depth of field than a 90mm f2? It doesn't. They are actually quite close, but the slightly longer focal length of the 90mm will give it slightly less depth of field than the 75mm.

17. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I second that. It is most obvious at longer distances. The 75 can't make shallow dof at a distance. But I do find the 75 fun for abstracts as well.

Check it out:

Attached Files: