If I let go of LR I am going to miss one thing!!!

RenaudVL

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have been running Lightroom 6 for some time now. I now have a Panasonic GX9 and my version of LR does not support the RAW file from that camera. I have tried to install Adobe Camera RAW with no success.

I have been disappointed with Adobe and don't want to subscribe to a yearly fee!
(Please don't make this the topic here, I am sure it has been discussed extensively!)

I also work with Affinity and On1 raw2019.
The feature that I like and find usefully in LR is the ability to see all the pictures in a folder including all the pictures in a sub-folder in that folder. Hope I make sense here!

The browser function in On1 does not permit to do that, you have to click on the actual sub- folder to see what in it and not the root one!

Are there any other photo management software that let you see all pictures in a folder including the one in a sub-folder?

Thanks everyone!!!

haunted scrap heap
The Collect images panel in darktable works this way when set to "folder" mode; clicking on one of my "year" folders in the tree shows everything in all of the "month" subfolders... and so on.

screenshot-1560115726.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
I have been running Lightroom 6 for some time now. I now have a Panasonic GX9 and my version of LR does not support the RAW file from that camera. I have tried to install Adobe Camera RAW with no success.

Install the DNG convertor - Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Run it, click "Change Preferences" near the bottom

Change "Compatibility" to "Camera Raw 7.1 and later"

upload_2019-6-13_1-22-53.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now convert your raw files to DNG files with whatever renaming, destination you want.

Import the new DNG's into LR6.

RenaudVL

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks guys for your suggestions!

Matt Drown, I'll give that a try! Thanks

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Are there any other photo management software that let you see all pictures in a folder including the one in a sub-folder?
Right with you on this one. Seems like such a simple thing, but then again I don't write code.

One other program that does this is XnViewMP. Just choose the master folder, right click, and select "Show all files (recursive)".

Hi, I think digiKam will do it.

I have installed digiKam on two of my Windows machines. When I launch it nothing happens. If I look in Task Manager it shows a digiKam process as running but other than that there is no sign of it. I suspect there is some prerequisite requirement that the installer does not install or warn me about but I haven't tried to trace down the problem.

rumplestiltskin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Perhaps your issue is resolved with Matt's answer but, in answer to your original question: Alien Skin's Exposure x4 seems to provide the feature you desired. (I actually like Exposure as much as LR.)

IdleLoop

New to Mu-43
From memory, there is a setting in ON1 that shows the contents of sub folders when browsing. Can't remember where it is at the moment, but I think on the left panel there is an option somewhere.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Assuming that I understand the question correctly, Directory Opus can show you pictures in folders and subfolders. I use it myself. Acdsee also has such a feature. Directory Opus can even show you the EXIF information of each picture.

I forgot to add: You can also right click on an image to select the program you want to use to edit it. This speeds up my own work flow, especially when making changes to the same image in different programs in the same work process.

Last edited:

RenaudVL

Mu-43 Top Veteran
From memory, there is a setting in ON1 that shows the contents of sub folders when browsing. Can't remember where it is at the moment, but I think on the left panel there is an option somewhere.

Well I'll be damned! Just there under my nose in a software I use regularly... Tooooo Fuunnnny!!!

Many thanks

davidzvi

Real Name
David
So I'm in the middle of reviewing 5 alternatives to LR right now, I'm also on LR 6.14. Currently it does support all my cameras so I have time. Sub directory folder views or robust and easy to use catalogs are also important to me. But I also use the LR filters a LOT, so that's also a make or break for me.

DXO PhotoLab 2

I do like the interface. Coming from LR it's pretty simple to work with. Processing seems OK and probably workable with practice But it doesn't support the sub directory view. It also doesn't support Fuji so that rules it out for me.

To be fair LR is the only program that handles my old Fuji S5 Pro files including the Free Capture One Fuji edition.

Luminar 3
I bought this one back when they were having that BIG promotion. It does support the sub directory view. But other than that the interface still needs some work and still no filters. LR filters might be the thing I would miss most if I switch.

Capture One
I have the free Fuji version. The folder view doesn't include sub directories, but the catalog collections are pretty easy to use and there you can see all images. The filters aren't bad, but not as easy as LR IMHO. At $299 it is a little pricey, but at least it is a perpetual license.

Alien Skin Exposure X4
Another one that I really do like the interface. I also like that you can turn on/off the sub directory view. Controls seem easy to understand and there are a few features like select "matching" that are nice. But filtering? It's fast, but you need to type in what you want to filter on and it's only one thing at a time (unless I'm missing something). If the filtering were better this would be a real good option IMHO. It could use more than the grid / fit / 1:1 view.

On One Photo RAW 2019
This one is a tough one. It has the easiest to use filters. But it also has the busiest interface. Panels on either side and then controls on the side of the panels? It does have the ability to to show or hide the sub directory view, but you have to select it every time? For me there just seems to be too much going on.

So in the end I think I'll stay with LR 6.14. But I'll be keeping an eye on Affinity Photo (they are suppose to be working on a DAM tool to go with their photo editor) and Alien Skin Exposure X4.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Photolab 2 Elite can do both ICC and DCP profiles for good color management. Luminar 3 or Flex can do DCPs. Capture 1 can do ICCs. Don't know about Alien Skin. Photo Raw can not do either DCPs or ICCs.....that has been requested from them for years.

PhotoLab does not do any file import/ingest into the file system. You needs something else, such as Photo Mechanic to do that. Luminar 3 does file import and renaming by the capability is no where need a replacement for Lr or others. C1P has a very good import capability either towards referenced libraries, a managed library (kind of like Aperture) or sessions. Photo Raw has a pitiful library like Luminar that has very limited importing and file renaming. They have been asked to fix that for years.

As for Serif making a DAM....they promised that years ago like CameraBits did for Photo Mechanic. And yet, Photo Mechanic 6's DAM is in beta right now. So perhaps hope springs eternal. ;)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@D7k1 , just an FYI but the 12-100's MFD is not 5' like you had previously stated. It's much shorter than that. Here's the Macro excerpt from Imaging Resources review of the lens:
Macro
Though not designed for true 1:1 macro photography, the Olympus 12-100mm provides quite impressive close-focusing capabilities, with a minimum focusing distance of just 0.15m (0.49 ft) and a maximum shooting magnification of 0.6x (35mm equivalent) at 12mm. At the telephoto end, it offers up to 0.42x eq. magnification with a close-focusing distance of 0.45 m (1.48 ft).

The lens by itself isn't half bad for non-dedicated macro solution. Throw in something like the 500D (which conveniently has 72mm filter threads, just like the 12-100 PRO), and the magnification only improves.

This is what they had to say for the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8:
Macro
The lens isn't designed as a macro lens, and produces poor results in this category, offering just 0.10x magnification at a minimum close-focusing distance of 85cm (2.8 feet).

Great Basin Gopher Snake.

View attachment 753254 M1025200-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Well I'll be damned! Just there under my nose in a software I use regularly... Tooooo Fuunnnny!!!

Many thanks

It is on the bottom control panel of 2019, "show sub folder contents".

davidzvi

Real Name
David
......As for Serif making a DAM....they promised that years ago like CameraBits did for Photo Mechanic. And yet, Photo Mechanic 6's DAM is in beta right now. So perhaps hope springs eternal. ;)
Well Serif has had 3 significant releases over the last few years with Designer, Photo, and now Publisher. So while we might wish a DAM was a priority for them, there is still hope.
It is on the bottom control panel of 2019, "show sub folder contents".
Can you set it as the default? It seems like you have to turn is on repeatedly.

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Perhaps your issue is resolved with Matt's answer but, in answer to your original question: Alien Skin's Exposure x4 seems to provide the feature you desired. (I actually like Exposure as much as LR.)
You are correct... you get it by clicking the little folder within the folder in the “folders” panel. It will turn orange and then every photo within that chosen folder/sub folder(s) will also be shown in the browser panel... handy feature.

Latest threads

Top Bottom