If I had to get just one ND filter, what should it be?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Mar 28, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    I plan on doing some landscape, waterfall and seascape shots and I really just want to bring minimalist gear when I travel. I also know how to fake long exposures and water/sky movement is photoshop bit I want to give using an actual ND filter a try.
    I'll be shooting mostly in tropical areas, where I live and I'll be using an em5 ii for the most part.
    I was thinking of getting a lee 7 stop filter but I'd like to see some suggestions or confirmation if the Lee is indeed the best for a single filter set up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    This totally depends when when you want to shoot. Towards dusk and dawn you could get away with medium strength ND filters say 3-6 stops while you will need a 10 stop or higher to slow down things in bright sunlight or for dramatic effects. Take a look at a nice Variable ND filter instead from a good company like Heliopan or Marumi if you need a jack of all trades. It can give you about 6-7 stops easily.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I personally ended up with a 6 stop and a 10 stop, but I end up using the 10 stop more often. I think a 6 stop is easily workable though, you can take multiple exposures using the 6 stop and just stack them together to smooth it out even more, as long as you don't have something in the frame that would cause a discontinuity (e.g. a moving vehicle trail).

• Like Like x 1
  4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Save some money and look at Haida. Myself, I use a 10 stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ah yip, I got Haida ones...

6. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2014
    I'll mostly be shooting with the rokinon 12/2 which takes a 67 filter. I read somewhere that ND filters can cause some vignetting. Is it better if I get a bigger size and just use step down rings? If so, what size should I get?

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I know you want to minimize the gear you bring with you, but would one of those velcro 3-filter pouches really add that much to your pack? I ask it because it's extremely difficult to use 1 filter for all types of situations. Personally, I would suggestions picking up a 3, 6, and 10 stop filter. With you, you get 3,6,9,10,13,and 16 stops of ND (when stacking up to two filters).

A 3-stop filter is very hand for long exposures during blue hour or at night, or for mid-day shoots with a wide aperture. A 6-stop filter is handy for golden hour long exposures. A 10-stop filter is great for mid-day long exposures of waterfalls, or for erasing people from a crowded scene.

Realistically, there isn't one filter that does everything. And bringing 3 filters over one makes a minimal impact to the size of your kit (we're talking about maybe 1/2 inch of depth).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Troiks

Troiks Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Australia
    Andrew
    Hi

I have a Nisi filter holder and adapter (for the 7-14) + 3 stop hard graduated ND filter on the way. I am also thinking of getting a 3 stop reverse ND for sunset / sunrise shots. The filter holder has a built in polariser.

Is it worth having both? I would also like a 'full' ND filter for long exposure shots however at about $250 each i need to choose wisely

This is my first filter setup so would appreciate any advice / feedback.

Cheers
    Andrew

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.