1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If I had to get just one ND filter, what should it be?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Mar 28, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    I plan on doing some landscape, waterfall and seascape shots and I really just want to bring minimalist gear when I travel. I also know how to fake long exposures and water/sky movement is photoshop bit I want to give using an actual ND filter a try.
    I'll be shooting mostly in tropical areas, where I live and I'll be using an em5 ii for the most part.
    I was thinking of getting a lee 7 stop filter but I'd like to see some suggestions or confirmation if the Lee is indeed the best for a single filter set up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    This totally depends when when you want to shoot. Towards dusk and dawn you could get away with medium strength ND filters say 3-6 stops while you will need a 10 stop or higher to slow down things in bright sunlight or for dramatic effects. Take a look at a nice Variable ND filter instead from a good company like Heliopan or Marumi if you need a jack of all trades. It can give you about 6-7 stops easily.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally ended up with a 6 stop and a 10 stop, but I end up using the 10 stop more often. I think a 6 stop is easily workable though, you can take multiple exposures using the 6 stop and just stack them together to smooth it out even more, as long as you don't have something in the frame that would cause a discontinuity (e.g. a moving vehicle trail).

• Like Like x 1
  4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Save some money and look at Haida. Myself, I use a 10 stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah yip, I got Haida ones...

6. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    I'll mostly be shooting with the rokinon 12/2 which takes a 67 filter. I read somewhere that ND filters can cause some vignetting. Is it better if I get a bigger size and just use step down rings? If so, what size should I get?

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I know you want to minimize the gear you bring with you, but would one of those velcro 3-filter pouches really add that much to your pack? I ask it because it's extremely difficult to use 1 filter for all types of situations. Personally, I would suggestions picking up a 3, 6, and 10 stop filter. With you, you get 3,6,9,10,13,and 16 stops of ND (when stacking up to two filters).

A 3-stop filter is very hand for long exposures during blue hour or at night, or for mid-day shoots with a wide aperture. A 6-stop filter is handy for golden hour long exposures. A 10-stop filter is great for mid-day long exposures of waterfalls, or for erasing people from a crowded scene.

Realistically, there isn't one filter that does everything. And bringing 3 filters over one makes a minimal impact to the size of your kit (we're talking about maybe 1/2 inch of depth).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Troiks

Troiks Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Australia
    Andrew
    Hi

I have a Nisi filter holder and adapter (for the 7-14) + 3 stop hard graduated ND filter on the way. I am also thinking of getting a 3 stop reverse ND for sunset / sunrise shots. The filter holder has a built in polariser.

Is it worth having both? I would also like a 'full' ND filter for long exposure shots however at about $250 each i need to choose wisely

This is my first filter setup so would appreciate any advice / feedback.

Cheers
    Andrew