If I had to buy one ...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by skibinski, Sep 5, 2012.

1. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    I have the Olympus 45mm and the Lumix 14 mm lens.

I'm thinking about selling them both and replacing with either the Lumix 20mm pancake lens, or going all out and splurging on the Summilux Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4 lens.

The Olympus 45mm is very nice, but it's also quite magnifying.

I like the idea of the portability of the pancake lens, but that f1.4 is pretty appealing.

Thoughts?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Typical one lens only solution is Panny 20. Versatile FL, small and light. The only negative is slow AF in low light. PL25 is too big, heavy and a little too long for many indoor shots to make it one lens only solution.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I agree. If you're seeking a one-lens solution, I'd go with the Panny 20mm. As a standard, normal, walking-around prime, a 40mm equivalent FOV is a lot more useful than the 50mm FOV that the PL 25 will give you. But I would suggest finding a way to add either 20mm or 25mm to your kit. The 14-20/25-45 combo is perfect.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the other 2 are correct.....if you only get one, the 20mm is more versatile

5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    PL25 for me. P20s are slow to focus especially in low light. The PL25 is also well balanced on larger m43 bodies like the OM-D and GH-2.

6. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    PL25 is my one lens choice as well. It's a perfect fit on my OM-D.

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Depends on your camera. If you have a small RF-style camera the 14mm is a necessity, to me, because it makes the package truly pocketable. Also, great IQ and decently fast.

If you've got a bigger DSLR-type camera, then no lens is going to make the camera very compact and I might opt for the PL25 if funds allow, or the P20 if they don't. I don't have the PL25, but I've read nothing but rave reviews. The P20 is also a great little lens--one of my favorites--but it is, like others have said, noticeably slower than more modern lenses. It does take fabulous pictures though.

8. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Interesting. Until recently I had the P20 and the O45. I bought the lovely and super cheap P14. Now my P20 hardly gets used. I don't do indoor low light stuff though I'm more of an outdoor man. However, if you are like me then you might find it stays ib your bag too much to justify it's cost.

I love my O45 though :)

Now, if you could sell the 14 and 45 and stretch to the new P12-35 F2.8 that might be amazing!!!!

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I traded the P20 and O45 for a PL25 and PL45 and haven't looked back. The faster AF on the PL25 may not seem like much but it's pretty significant. The P20 however is smaller, very close in IQ and focuses a bit closer.

10. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    My 14 is my most used lens.Next is the 20.I never use my PL25 and may sell.It is too large and heavy and I find the focal length too tight for my evolving street style.Same for my 45.

11. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    To the op what body are you using??? i have the panny 14mm,20mm oly 45mm..The 20 is what i use most of the time 2nd 14mm

12. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Splurge. The 25mm just has a certain something. You can use if for everything you would use the 20mm for (mid range the difference in focal length is not that significant), and a lot more.

13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I agree, I used both for a while and preferred the 25, it's only big in relative terms, it reality it's not big at all and the IQ is excellent, there's also something about it that I like, it has a certain character that works for me. I certainly don't find it too long focal length. To me the 20mm always seemed a bit sterile or something, it just never floated my boat.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  14. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Interesting opinions! I'm still split. I'm using an E-PL3, and it's true that I like it because with the lens off, I can put it in one pocket and a pancake lens in the other. I wonder how big of a difference 1.4 and 1.7 are. I do find myself in low-light situations more often than not (hence my desire to make a switch) ...

15. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've started using the PL25 for portraits of my grandchildren with various backgrounds, and the results have been very pleasing to me. More importantly, my children and their spouses like the results! :wink:

16. mw1

mw1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2012
    The focal length difference matters

People often point out that the 20mm is actually ~18.5mm. That means it's actually just about as close to the 14mm as it is to the 25mm in terms of angle of view...Check the flickr groups for the 25 and the 20. They're both spectacular for all types of land/streetscapes etc. But the 25 is also just (just!) long enough to take isolated-focus upper body portraits, whereas you very very rarely see shots like that with the 20 (unless you get even closer to the subject, and distort the face). Also, what other people have pointed out about the slow autofocus speed on the 20 is indeed a big deal. 25 is for me definitely a more versatile one-lens-to-rule-them-all focal length, but the 20's size is more pocketable...so much so that I now own both (took a long while for me to convince myself that was ok, had to get rid of the 14 :)! But my only reason for using the 20 is the size, when I need to jam it into a pocket. If you're fine with the 14 for that purpose, though, it could be unnecessary...

17. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I too have been debating whether to get a P20 or a PL25 for several weeks now and finally went for the P20.

I preferred the PL25, but in the end the lower price of the P20 swung it for me, as there was not enough of an advantage in the PL25 to justify the extra £170 (and i did find the PL25 to be quite large on my E-P3 when I tested it).

The only thing I would say is that you'll find the autofocus speed of the P20 quite a bit slower than the O45 if your used to that.

18. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    PL25 for me. :2thumbs: Perfect fit on a G5, GH2, or OM-D. It really does have that Leica feel to rendering images. Faster autofocus than the P20. I personally would get the PL25. Lastly, it provides you with normal eyesight FOV, perfect for on the go captures. Extremely sharp at the center even wide open, tack sharp throughout the frame at f/2 (except be careful shooting groups of people or even a signle person if you're too close at less than f/2.8)). If the rumor about the PL17.5 turns out to be true than you can get that later. :biggrin:

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

20. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Shopping for a used Leica 25 mm

I am thinking of getting the 25mm Leica and would like to look at used lenses in good condition.