If I buy a lens from Japan $300 - do I pay any duties/taxes shipped to USA?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pointbob, Apr 13, 2014.

1. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    If I buy a lens from Japan $300 - do I have to pay any duties/taxes when shipped to USA (WA state)?

thanks

2. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 23, 2012
    Riverside, California
    Ray
    You're supposed to pay duty. However, I've never been charged when purchasing camera equipment from overseas. ymmv

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I've bought the 12-35, 35-100, a couple of fuji's, etc. from overseas and never had a duty bill.

4. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I have purchased a few items and they arrive quickly if you use EMS and I have never seen a bill.

5. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    ........gosh i envy Japan and US market. Heard from my friend, the price there is more humanity. In my country, Indonesia...example EM10's price is about US$ 980 thanks to tax and margins.

6. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Is the lens with held until I pay duty?

7. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    What is EMS? I imagine just regular post is all i'd see....

8. Chris5107

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    Most of what I get from Japan is shipped via EMS. This seems to be a popular method and it has great tracking. I get things faster from Japan than I do from the west coast of the USA. I am in Maryland on the East Coast. The items have never been held up for me.

Do a quick search for EMS Japan for more info. Items come into the USA and quickly pass customs and then are delivered by the usps.

9. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I likewise have bought camera equipment from Japan, and have never been charged duty. The last time I imported a lens, using EMS, I tracked the package, and it cleared U.S. customs overnight, so it was quick.

If you opt to use a private service like FedEx or UPS, it's possible you may get hit with a bill for customs duty. I imported some parts for my car last year, and FedEx promptly paid the duty, and later billed me for it. YMMV.

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have bought overseas three times. The first two came through with no duty. The third one arrived with a bill for the duty. So seems to be hit and miss.

11. Chris5107

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    about how much was the duty and was it worth the effort of buying from overseas. Was this a Japanese sale using EMS?

Tapatalk

12. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've purchased twice and both times the items came by FedEx. Both times I was hit with a duty bill courtesy of FedEx.

13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I bought an O45 off ebay from a seller in Japan. I wondered if I would get hit with a duty, but I didn't. I don't recall what service they used to ship the lens, I believe I received it in the U.S. Mail.