If I buy a lens from Japan $300 - do I pay any duties/taxes shipped to USA?

pointbob

Mu-43 Regular
If I buy a lens from Japan $300 - do I have to pay any duties/taxes when shipped to USA (WA state)?

thanks

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
........gosh i envy Japan and US market. Heard from my friend, the price there is more humanity. In my country, Indonesia...example EM10's price is about US$ 980 thanks to tax and margins.

Real Name
Chris
Most of what I get from Japan is shipped via EMS. This seems to be a popular method and it has great tracking. I get things faster from Japan than I do from the west coast of the USA. I am in Maryland on the East Coast. The items have never been held up for me.

Do a quick search for EMS Japan for more info. Items come into the USA and quickly pass customs and then are delivered by the usps.

Canonista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I likewise have bought camera equipment from Japan, and have never been charged duty. The last time I imported a lens, using EMS, I tracked the package, and it cleared U.S. customs overnight, so it was quick.

If you opt to use a private service like FedEx or UPS, it's possible you may get hit with a bill for customs duty. I imported some parts for my car last year, and FedEx promptly paid the duty, and later billed me for it. YMMV.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I have bought overseas three times. The first two came through with no duty. The third one arrived with a bill for the duty. So seems to be hit and miss.

riverr02

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rafael
I've purchased twice and both times the items came by FedEx. Both times I was hit with a duty bill courtesy of FedEx.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I bought an O45 off ebay from a seller in Japan. I wondered if I would get hit with a duty, but I didn't. I don't recall what service they used to ship the lens, I believe I received it in the U.S. Mail.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom