If Adobe products become too expensive

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by the_traveler, May 7, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    If Adobe products become too expensive, what are other alternatives?

If you use list any products, please give the platform and a small comparison in price and utility.

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Digikam

I'm using Ubuntu. And being quite fussy, I did a lot of experimenting to find which programs work best for my RAW workflow. The Ubuntu software manager installs/removes programs just by typing the programs name in, then click "install". Try as many as you like. It will not mess anything up. Nor will it cost anything, so I tested loads.

My Workflow Operation ------------: Application
    • Download from camera --------: Rapid Photo Downloader. (also Digikam)
    • Manage, preview Photos ------: Digikam (very flexible)
    • Non-destructive JPEG Edit -----: Digikam
    • Raw Development--------------: Raw Therapee (open from Digikam) I tested lots! this suited me best.
    • HDR, Panorama, De-fish -------: Digikam plugin: Hugin/enfuse
    • Retouching -------------------: Gimp. (open from Digikam) Very comprehensive, so I only tested this.
    • Uploader to Flikr/Picasa etc-----: Digikam

Initially I struggled with Digikam. But after googling each problem, it turned out Digikam could do each really well. Everything else was covered by it's extensive plug-ins. The only thing I find less flexible is downloading from the camera. The separate Rapid Photo Downloader solved that. Digikam also processes Raw, but I seem to prefer Raw Therapee. There are lots of others to choose from though.

I'm sure some PS users will be frustrated with the Gimp photo manipulation software. I'm not used to PS, so the Gimp is great. Fast and fully featured.

As all operations are initiated directly from Digikam, the process is very streamlined. So I'm very happy with it. And slightly surprised.

3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I'll use 2 products that I already use. Gimp and Raw Therapee. But I only play around with Raw Therapee right now since I prefer LR. Raw Therapee needs local adjustment brushes and the ability to use plug ins from Nik or Topaz.

I really need to Google to purchase Phase One so I can purchase Capture One pro for $149. :biggrin:

4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    A custom script invoked automatically when the sdcard is inserted to extract the photos.
    After that digikam for sorting and tagging.
    After that darktable for developing the raw files.
    Sometimes (less and less since darktable now as useable masks) another edit in gimp.
    Back to digikam to upload to flickr.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The Corel Products are cheap as chips. You can get PSP and Aftershot Pro as a bundle. That said I doubt that Elements will ever be too expensive and it has some real power under the hood.

Gordon

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Capture One. IMO, the only other product availible curently that could compete with Adobe's offerings, it's $299 USD. For pure RAW software I actually prefer C1 to ACR by just a little bit. LR is a better overall program though, especially coupled into the Adobe ecosystem. If I had a MF back, I'd be using C1 for sure though, I'd also still being using PS. That said I haven't used Aperture, I hear decent things, overall output that I've seen seems a touch lacking to ACR.

7. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Sorry, I thought the "If..." was kind of funny, since I think Adobe products are already too expensive. PS is what, slightly north of $600US or so these days. That price seems pretty dear to me. And they keep making PS more about graphic design than photo-editing. And instead of just buying it, they appear to want you to buy a monthly subscription instead.

^
    |
    I totally agree.

With a couple of reservations(in the paragraph below,) I mostly am really liking the Corel alternative(s). After buying a recent (last year) PSP deluxe (or something) bundle for around $60US and discovering when I installed it that it also included a metric ton of Nik plug-ins in the box for that price, for me PSP is the best non-free product around.

Of course it is Windows platform only, which some won't like. And you have to not mind the license checking app you have to install to make sure you don't pirate it. I'm not crazy about that, but I live with it ok, since it also checks Corel for patches/updates, as well as making sure you aren't being naughty about your license. And it won't open .PSDs or other Adobe exclusive formats (yes including .DNG).

Corel recently purchased Bibble in totality, so that might be interesting if they blend it into a PSP version.

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have Capture One, Corel and Photoshop CS5. Of the three, I turn to Capture One for 99% of my photos. At $299, I think it's very reasonable for such a capable program.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Aperture... 80 bucks.... Everything most people taking photographs need most of the time.... as probably does iPhoto ok you need a mac...too expensive i hear you say... actually not that much when you factor in whole out of the box it works factor

just my opinion

Mac user since 1985... and former Apple employee... and not in an Apple Store :)

k

10. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Lightroom has only gotten cheaper. Current price is $79.

11. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, Photoshop has gone more graphics than most photographers need and LR is picking up almost everything that photographers need for the cheap price of $79.

As a long time PS user, I have given myself over to LR. Changed the way I shoot so I don't *need* to use anything more than LR. "Need" is of course relative, but if you shoot with LR in mind you will never need PS at all. Us old timers used to shoot film. You more or less did it all when you pushed the shutter. Not bad to strive for this in digital as well.

If you don't want to spend the money on PS, download GIMP, it's very powerful and free!

As a complete package, LR is simply great. Sure, nothing is ever going to do everything and be streamlined for ease of use, but I think Adobe has certainly done a superb job making the appropriate compromises in LR.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Corel's offerings have done a pretty good job for me in terms of photo and video; Paintshop Pro and VideoStudio are sold as a cheap bundle now and sometimes go on sale for even cheaper. Neither is the caliber of their Adobe equivalents, but they're pretty good in their own right. Video has a variety of options (Sony Vegas, Pinnacle, etc) but I hate them all more than Premiere or VideoStudio. There's plenty of LR alternatives if you need em. Capture One, DXO, Aperture come to mind.

I've been extremely unhappy with the open source options, and that's speaking as a highly technical person who's well versed in running Linux systems. I know they work for some people but I simply don't consider them as a plausible option unless this is strictly a hobby and you're not really pressed for time.

13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While Lightroom is now quite reasonable (emphasis on the word "now"), you could probably include the price of a Mac in your Photoshop calculation for those of us on PC's, and the factor probably does not change too much! :biggrin:

--Ken
    (Former) Mac user since 1984 - 128k Macintosh and uncle of a soon to be Apple employee!

14. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    i have cs6 with all the Nik and topaz plugins. does everything i want to do and is way beyond my abilities. doubt i could learn to use all the features in 20 years.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What do you mean IF they do, they are already too expensive. I love several of their products but they are higher priced then they should be{IMHO} and have been for years. If it were not for sales and education discounts I would not have been able to get them.

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Well, Aperture must have given them a run for market share, because they dramatically dropped the price of Lightroom when v.4 was released (and have kept Elements somewhat reasonable). Otherwise, I would agree that their prices for "professional" software are quite high.

--Ken

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Corel have a long heritage, and have even had the lead over Adobe in many areas.

I'm not well versed in running Linux systems. But installing and using all those apps just seems to work. And may be a great solution for other non Linux experts.
    Today Linux is very polished out of the box. Especially Ubuntu. But it can still catch a beginner out from time to time.
    It's a hobby for me. Although I do have high expectations, I'm not pressed for time. Maybe we should each state PRO or Hobbyist when we make our reccommendations. As they each surely have different criteria.

18. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    What do you think LR should be selling for? $79 really seems quite reasonable to me.

19. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    The other thing is that Adobe packs a lot of digital magic into all their professional products like PS. Those features don't get written so effeciently by themselve.

20. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as far as I can see 79 dollars is the upgrade price... full product is still 149 dollars... which is not a bad deal... but isnt 79 dollars.... the price of Aperture if you are a mac user

K