1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If 20mm 1.7 II rumors are true. ..

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Deosola, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Deosola

Deosola New to Mu-43

May 28, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    The rumors are that the new Panasonic 20mm 1.7 II will not be faster in terms of autofocus. (Compare old spec to new spec)

If that is true, would you buy the new 20mm 1.7 II or a used Oly 17mm 1.8 if the prices were similar?

Thanks!

2. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Oly 17 1.8 for me

3. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    I wouldn't buy any since I already have the old 20mm

4. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Happily using the Oly 17 1.8.

Sadly, this looks like a huge missed opportunity for Panasonic. They can do better than this.

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I never knew the my old P20 had a slow AF until I read it here. I think I'll keep it. I agree with Azimuth. They should be releasing new focal lengths, not retreads.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I don't mind minor updates on lenses -- and the 20mm is one of the oldest for MFT. Olympus ought to do the same with the 17mm 2.8.

And Panasonic will be releasing two new lenses that sound like they are going to be very nice later this year, so they aren't standing still.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like the new styling and build of the new P20. But I like quick AF more, so I just got an Oly17 1.8

8. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Olympus did improve the 17mm in the new version, new internal and fast AF and also a faster aperture

the new 20mm looks like the same lens with new metal construction, I can't call this an improvement

9. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Oh well, look on the bright side. At least the used market for the older lens should be extremely buyer friendly in the up and coming months. My copy has gone to hell and back, so if I can grab one for $200 or less--which is nearly the price of a good clean up job and a coating replacement--I'll be stoked.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I highly doubt the used market will change - if AF wasn't improved there is pretty much 0 reason for current owners to upgrade.

11. fredsh

fredsh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Just checked B&H, they have both, and Mark II is priced less!

12. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I'd like to see a weather sealed pancake. 14-17 would be ideal but I would take the 20.

But none of them are (AFAIK).

13. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    DPreview posted this:
    "Panasonic has announced the Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II ASPH, a revised version of its classic fast pancake lens for Micro Four Thirds. The H-HS020A, as Panasonic likes to call it, features a metallic exterior and slightly reduced weight, and will come in a choice of silver or black finishes. The optical design appears to be unchanged, with 7 elements in 5 groups including 2 aspheric elements; not a bad thing as its predecessor is one of our favourite lenses. The 20mm F1.7 II will be available in late July at a price of $399/£349."

Panasonic announces revised Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II ASPH lens: Digital Photography Review

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If the new 20mm is just a cosmetic refresh of the old one, what makes you think the old one will crater in value? If the Mk II actually had faster AF, or better optics, that would likely happen, but not for a new color scheme.