iDynamic and i.Resolution: They affect RAW file?

Antigen

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

i need an info before buy the GX80, i read a lot on the infite user guide and i find:

- iDynamic and i.Resolution

But they affect RAW file or not?

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Regular
Yes. Even if you, for example, shoot B&W, the RAW always contains all the information from the sensor. Or if you shoot format 1:1 - the same.

Only the jpeg baked in the RAW is influenced, but not the main file.

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Regular
No :)

The only thing may actually touch the RAW is the dark frame subtraction for the long exposures. I do not have my Lumix with me, so I can not tell you where is it in the menu.

Otherwise, RAW is a set of data read from the sensor, and no settings you mentioned influence it.

So, no problem using those settings, if you shoot jpeg + RAW, if you do not like jpeg result, you can always go to RAW and develop it at the computer

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
There was some speculation a while back that "lens shading correction" (aka vignetting correction) was making its way into the raw. However, that's the only thing I'm aware of. If you turn off the lens shading correction then all is well in the raw too.

Davidof_CR

Mu-43 Regular
This is right.
There are some data going with the RAW (in the file) telling the software about vignette, geometrical distortion and so on.
Still, as you have written, there are always the original figures and some coefficients that may be used or not.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
- iDynamic and i.Resolution

But they affect RAW file or not?
In fact, iDynamic will affect your RAW files (just as Nikon's Active D-Lighting does). What it does for JPEGs is to reduce exposure to protect the highlights, and then raise the shadows to "increase dynamic range". This of course can raise the noise levels as well.

While you won't see the lifted shadows in RAW that you do in JPEGs, the exposure reduction it applies is based on modification to the exposure triangle, and will affect your RAW files by as much as 2/3 of a stop. If you shoot RAW... best to leave it off to avoid underexposure.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom