Identify the Mystery Object.

banj911

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bennet Duhig
Ok, lets se how this one goes. It is not a monochrome image.
P5061211.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

banj911

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bennet Duhig
Is the correct answer.
This model uses a balloon that you blow up first, then you attach the balloon to the test tube and let the air from the balloon go through the test tube.
View attachment 887030
I remember, back in the day, mid 70’s I guess as a kid, the small country town we lived in held an annual Rotary regatta. Part of the festivities included a billy cart race down a hill and the local coppers used to breath test all dubious competitors prior to the race. Before these fancy new alcohol testers, people ‘blew into the bag’ using one of the above style tubes. If the blower was over the limit, the crystals went green from memory, and the driver was sidelined .

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I remember, back in the day, mid 70’s I guess as a kid, the small country town we lived in held an annual Rotary regatta. Part of the festivities included a billy cart race down a hill and the local coppers used to breath test all dubious competitors prior to the race. Before these fancy new alcohol testers, people ‘blew into the bag’ using one of the above style tubes. If the blower was over the limit, the crystals went green from memory, and the driver was sidelined .
If the rumors hold true it looks like the next Apple Watch will have blood alcohol sensors -- might be safe for me to start drinking again!

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Blood alcohol breath tester, attaches to a bag?

Great. Each time there is something I would have known, it's gone before I have even time to open this forum. :crying:

I used to have one for years too. Never drink when I'm about to drive next morning so it expired unused.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Is the correct answer.
This model uses a balloon that you blow up first, then you attach the balloon to the test tube and let the air from the balloon go through the test tube.
View attachment 887030

The ones used around here were slightly different: the tube had a tight bag attached to one end, and one had to blow through the tube until the bag is full. From my memory it wasn't that easy to fill the bag.

357mag

Mu-43 Veteran
The ones used around here were slightly different: the tube had a tight bag attached to one end, and one had to blow through the tube until the bag is full. From my memory it wasn't that easy to fill the bag.
Yes, the police had those here as well. This was some cheap civilian version.
With the risk of being OT
This must be the funniest breathalyzer test.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
And a second question: are these grooves at all or is this just a stack of something? Like stack of metal plates inside electric motor (and on some padlocks)?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now I know: videohead drum from a VCR? Don't know which type would have this many grooves though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom