1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ideas on camera strap - wrist to neck?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by number17, May 14, 2018.

1. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Hi all,

I have been looking for the 'perfect camera strap' for a while and came to the realization that what I really want is a 'convertible' strap ...

So I usually use my camera with a wrist strap (and I wear it on my wrist only if I'm changing lens 'on the fly' ... in case I drop my camera by mistake) and that works for me 90% of the times. However there are times, usually when I'm traveling, that I like to wear a neck strap and free up both my hands.

But it's a pain to change straps from wrist to neck strap, especially for those odd times I don't mind looking like a tourist. I've been thinking of an idea, to get a neck strap and attach small carabiners to both ends.

On my camera I'll keep my wrist strap on 1 hook, and put a metal ring in the other hook.

When I want to put a neck strap on, I'll just hook the 2 carabiner from the neck strap on the ring and the wrist strap, and now I can quickly convert my wrist strap to neck strap and back.

Wondering if anyone has other ideas or if you've tried something like this?

I've looked at the Jobi (sp?) convertible straps but I don't like its style, and I also don't like how it has a small strap on one camera hook when I have detached the neck strap. I like the peak design convertible straps but find them a little too expensive for camera straps (if I get both wrist strap and neck strap from pd i'll be paying close to $100!)

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

What caribiners were you planning on? I was looking at something like that a while back, but I can't find any small enough that I would trust. And they are metal, which seems like it would scratch my stuff.

I've been looking for something similar, but I'll probably go back to a Peak Design Leash. It's kind of designed for both wrist and neck. You just shorten it all the way and double wrap for wrist use. Those stylish rope-style straps can be used in the same way.

OP/Tech has a lot of interesting mounting trinkets I've looked at, but haven't tried many of them.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. rumplestiltskin

rumplestiltskin Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    +1 for OpTech. I use their collection of straps, connectors, and adapters a lot. Modular and flexible. You can build just about any strap you want and they're affordable. I don't like neck straps myself, but if you want a flexible system that can accommodate neck straps, slings, and wrist straps, they have it covered.

Go to their site to see their full slate. www.optechusa.com

6. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I can't stand neck straps, they always seem to get tangled and\or in the way just at the wrong moment for me. So I use a Peak Design Cuff (v2) wrist strap, and have a Capture Clip on each of my bags. When I want my hands free I just clip the camera into to Capture Clip, unclip the Cuff, and wrap it around my wrist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Pacific NW
    I would buy the peak design anchors and clips kit then adapt your current wrist and neck straps. The peak design quick release system is their most brilliant offering.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya I have the Leash and the Cuff from Peak Design (there was some sort of discount when I bought both). You get plenty of anchors with the pair and I normally have the leash on my E-M1 and the cuff on my IR converted E-P2. Put when I want to put the cuff on my E-M1 it takes all of about 8 second to change it over.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I use Peak Design Anchors with OpTech neck and wrist straps.

11. I've done this.

On the right lug I've got a Joby Wrist strap, and on the left is the QR for a sling strap. I bought a strap slider from eBay that slides up and down on a sling, and attached a small S carabiner to it.

With the QR and S-biner released, it's just the Joby wrist strap and the stub for the sling strap. With both attached, I've got a sliding sling strap with two attachment points.

12. Check out the jewelry area of your local craft or hobby store. Not carabiners, but they have good variety of small clips that are similar. Usually one a swiveling base, make sure the base is wide enough for you to attach your strap. Clip the Jewlery clip directly into the D-ring of the camera. Fast, simple, inexpensive, solid.

But, honestly, a "real pro" has about 76 straps, uncounted lens caps in every size from 37-77mm (82mm if you are a real high end pro), and boxes full of lens hoods and UV filters. Usually uninsured, but worth about a new EM-1.2 body. These things are what really happens to most photographers' G.A.S. - months of researching the 12-100 vs the 1.2 prime; finally result in a desperate run to the camera shop to get a 37mm UV and a 46mm wide angle lens hood. Only to return home and realize you will need a 37-46 step up ring. This is perfectly normal. The money you save on the shrink can be saved for that 40-150/2.8 that would look so cool. Nothing wrong with us. I bet chefs spend all their money on knives and cutting boards. :) 

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    Having hated neck straps an such for years, I bought the PeakDesign Leash and SlideLite recently. I really like the "sling style" and placed one anchor top left and the other at the camera base. This way the camra is hanging at my hip with the lens facing down. I think this is the most comfortable and safe way to carry my camera (when it is not stored in my bag/backpack)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I totally agree about the lens straight down config. I feel so much better walking around with that config than with the ones that tie into both top loops and have the lens hanging outwards. I tried the OpTech a few years back with my D700 and it was at best unwieldy. I looked at the new ones before deciding Peak Design was a better option and one of the reasons was that the OT clips were so much larger than the PD ones. That and the fact that I've pinched my fingers so many times with the OT type of connector on other sports and computer bag straps that I didn't relish the thought of continuing the self-inflicted torture with my camera straps either.

FWIW, I think the PD Slide-Lite is an acceptable shoulder strap for all of my glass except the 300/4 and then I use the PD Slide. The Slide-Lite folds down much smaller and is therefore more travel friendly when you're talking about space in a an everyday, walkabout travel bag (like the PD 10L Sling). I have other PD wrist straps and use the one when I'm out with just one camera and don't need two hands free. For the most part they are easy to use and don't take up a lot of space. The other thing I like about the PD straps is that they are very ArcaSwiss adaptable, making them an easy fit on my AS ready tripods.

16. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

I like the pd leash and cuff combos but together they are like $100, which seems a tad too much for camera straps ... maybe when they go on sale

That said the pd capture is interesting. The only times I would wear a neck strap is when I go on trips, and in those times I would always wear a bag or backback with me. So the capture is not a bad idea at all. I'll see if I can find any v2 or v1 on sale now they have come out with v3.

17. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Too bad for us in Canada, there's no deals on Peak Design lite ... they're $65 on Amazon.ca, and another $40 for the cuff ... like I said, $100 for camera straps :eek:  :eek: 

18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    You've probably thought of this already, but a lot of the time I just wrap a beat up (aka soft) neck strap around my wrist a couple of times - the ultimate "convertible" option!

Like WaltP mentioned, instead of the PD anchors you could go with your original idea and use any quick-release swiveling hook/clips for swapping between neck strap and wrist strap if you keep the original little dangly rings that came mounted on your camera body lugs. Just put a clip on all the strap ends that you need to attach. Something like this works nicely (but overpriced, IMHO): Get HOOKed!

• Like Like x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I just stumbled across these quick releases from OP/tech. Supposedly hold 100 pounds and leave you with only the split ring after removal. Only $8 and use your own favorite neck strap

Tiny Mighty Swivel™

site-slot-lug.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Try your fishing shop for these clips.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.