1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ideas for E-M10 functions button setup

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by StefanKruse, May 27, 2015.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    So my new E-M10 has finally arrived :) and with it a lot of new possibilities (compared to me E-pl5).

How have you guys set-up the functions buttons? Any tips, tricks and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    I have set Fn2 to HDR, Video button to Peaking and Fn1 to Magnify

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Mine is set up so Fn1 moves the Autofocus point to the Home (centered) position, Fn2 is Focus Peaking and the Movie button is Depth of field preview. L-Fn is Autofocus Stop.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. 808N8

808N8 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Hawaii
    I originally mapped Focus Peaking to Fn1, but have since mapped it to the Video Rec button. I actually like having the Fn1 as the multi-function currently (I think it's defaulted to this). Unless you intend to shoot video very often (which arguably you wouldn't have bought the E-M10 for anyway) then I would definitely recommend with mapping something more useful to the Video Rec button. Through your use you will find out what setting is most useful to you (e.g. mapping magnify or focus peaking wouldn't be very useful if you never intend to shoot manual focus).

I was intending to setup Fn2 for HDR, but might have to checkout the Depth of Field preview.
    Thanks OP, nice thread for some ideas -- I'm a newcomer to the E-M10 as well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Did not know about the Depth of field preview function at all, thanks, not sure how useful it is but it sounds potentially vey usefull.hing does looks a bit darker when I press it??)

Do you know whether it will work with Manual lenses such as the Samyang 7.5 FE? Also isnt focus peaking achieving the same thing as DoF preview?

Trying ed HDR, Focus peaking and DoF preview but would also like AEL so unless I DoF preview grows un me i.e. I figure out how to use it I might go for AEL instead.

Any other tips and tricks are appreciated :)

6. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    Myset 1 : AF lens
    Fn1 : AEL spot meter, Fn2 : digital teleconverter (rarely use it though), movie rec button : reset AF point
    Myset 2 : manual lens
    Fn1 : AEL spot meter, Fn2 : magnify, movie rec button : focus peaking

Wish there was Fn3 on EM10 so I can change Myset quickly, because Mode Dial Function customization doesn't work on my EM10, don't know why. Maybe I have to update the firmware first, I still use earliest firmware

7. benman

benman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    Derbyshire, UK
    Currently got mine as...

Fn1: AEL lock
    Rec: Depth of field preview
    Fn2: Magnify

Although reset AF point sounds like a useful addition.

8. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    As an aside, I switched around the functions of the front and back wheels. It just seemed to make more sense to me that way.

9. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Paul
    Fn1 peaking, Fn2 multi function(usually as magnify), Rec DOF preview.
    I have the rear four way controller set to direct function [menu> custom menu(gears)> option B button/dial> button function] and set the right button to ISO/WB and down to Drive mode (up and left are not user definable).

On mine with manual aperture lenses like the Samyang 7.5 FE the DOF preview is not needed; as you stop the lens down you can see the DOF effect on the LCD/EVF.
    You can double check the focus on the areas you're interested in by using the magnify function. The Focus peaking seems to give a similar idea of what's in focus as the DOF preview, having had a play you can use the magnify, peaking and DOF preview together if you want to be spot on!

My EM10 is on firmware 1.1; apologies if I'm telling you something you already know and have tried as you've set up two mysets.
    The mysets [shooting menu1] have to be set up first before the mode dial customisation will let you assign them to a mode dial position [menu> custom menu> option B button/dial> mode dial function].
    If you've tried this there may be a conflict of settings somewhere rather than a fault with your camera.
    I have only one Myset for long exposures and have assigned it to my iAUTO position.

(A user on another forum posted about his flash not working; they had the silent shutter enabled(heart symbol shows next to drive mode symbol) and that was stopping flash functions. Just in case you find yours won't work may save some head scratching!
    Oops confusing this bit with EM5 mkii.......
    didn't just delete in case I confused someone who'd already read it... Sorry!!!)

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Fn 1 - myset for HDR
    Fn 2 - AEL
    Video - magnify

Maybe I'm missing something but I get focus peaking when I manual focus for fine tuning.

11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    You can turn that option on or off in the menu. I like being able to easily turn it on or off, so it's Fn1 on mine, this is also useful with non AF lenses. My Record is Magnify and Fn2 is manual focus.