1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ideas for a bag??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Z-man, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    so it seems I have managed to get a few lenses in a short time. I think coming from a DLSR standpoint I knew I wanted some variety.

What I haven't managed to find is a back to hold my gear in. A G3 with a couple of long telephotos, a couple short primes, and a 14-42. Any suggestions. I don't see adding anything to this kit with the possible exception of a flash?? so I want some as small as possible that will work.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You need to step back, do a little research, and evaluate what you want, because your question is very vague. How much is "a couple of each lens?" How much are you willing to spend? Do you want a shoulderbag, a backpack, a sling, briefcase style, etc? Do a few google searches, with some creative search terms, and figure some stuff out on your own. Start to pick a direction, and we'll help you hone in to the perfect one for you.

My personal favorite way to carry my camera gear is a Kata backpack.

3. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Yes..some clarity is probably needed. Shoulder bag for sure. I have a think tank back pack for my Nikon gear which I love. Quality products. But they don't make what I am looking for. I shoulder bag with 2-3 internal compartments and preferrably a couple of external compartments for lenses too. Since you are familar with Kata, i have a C-56 that I am using. It would almost be the perfect fit if the side pockets were just a bit more roomy... I will have to look at some Kata options online since locally they aren't available much. Thanks for giving me a reminder about them..

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    My latest and favorite bag is a Billingham Hadley Pro. It fits a GF2, 20/1.7, PL25, 45/1.8, 14/2.5 and 40-150. Plus extra batteries, MacBook Air and charger. Although I rarely would carry that many different lenses.

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I too was looking for a bag for a G3/lens on plus 3 lenses, flash and bit's and bobs but could not find one suitable for me, wrong size, way too expensive etc, etc.
    There are a number suggested here...............https://www.mu-43.com/f43/bag-g3-18038/

When I sold my DSLR kit I retained the bag, a Kata DC 445.
    Kata Bags DC-445 for Pro DSLR + 3-5 lenses + flash - DPS

Thinking it would be too big for my :43: gear I tried to sell it but there were no takers.

I'm glad I didn't, as I have built up my :43: kit it takes it all very nicely.

Kit....G3/14-42, 45 Macro, 9-18, 45-200, flashgun and bits and pieces.

My only critisism of the bag is perhaps it's a little tall, but that leaves room for other stuff we seem to accumulate.

D in W

6. txbonds

txbonds Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2011
  7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Isn't the think tank retrospective 5 a shoulder type bag? I was thinking of getting one myself, but I don't think my budget will allow, so now I"m thinking of a Crumpler 4 or 5 Million Dollar Home bag.

If the TTR5 is too small there's also the 10.

8. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    +1

The Hadley Pro is a "big" little bag. I am surprised at how much mine would carry if I allowed myself to really load it up. I use mine for a small DSLR outfit on occasion as well, and it swallows a 7D with lens attached, and two other lenses (one of which can be a 70-200 zoom or similar), plus extra cards, batteries, all that extra gear that always comes along. And the best part is that it really is a small bag - when not packed full, it is a small, slim and stylish messenger bag.

The Hadley Pro is fast becoming my all-time favourite shoulder bag! Big enough to carry what I need, not too big to tempt me to carry more than I would be comfortable with (I hate a heavy shoulder bag!). I used to have a Domke F-803, another messenger-style shoulder bag, and that is a great bag, but even though they are quite similar in size, the Hadley Pro packs a lot more gear inside it than the F-803 ever did. The only thing that I occasionally wish for, on the Hadley Pro, would be a Domke Gripper strap (with the rubber woven into the shoulder strap, to prevent it from slipping off the shoulder). But that is what the Billingham shoulder pads are for. :smile:

And the best thing about the Billingham Hadley Pro? No Velcro! :2thumbs:

9. Bags get to be real user specific in terms of what is "perfect" or close to. Personal preference for thin bags. Rather have a too tall, wide bag than too fat bag. Why my large bag is a messenger style bag (Timbuk2 Snook, small). The next size bag down is a Domke F5XC. It's actually on most days the "perfect" bag except it's not totally storm proof. diy rain/dust cover dealt with that issue. Rather compose an image using a viewfinder vs. lcd. The problem with the XC is when packing 4 lens plus G2 & Gf-1, the lvf-1 needs to be detached. Next bag is the XB. Nice bag for mu43 gear when packing just a few lens/accessories. The only issue with the XB is that when packing too much gear there is some stacking of items necessary to pack everything in it. I'm lazy and prefer just to reach into the bag and grab what I need and just as easily return the item to its designated storage compartment. Then there is the Crumpler 2MDH. The bag used for protecting the G2/GF-1 with lens of choice when it sits inside the backpack or messenger bag.

More or less conceded to the own mult bag concept. During the 35mm slr decades I owned a total of 2 different bags. Have owned a mu43 camera for less than 1 year and use 5 different bags if you include an old small hip bag for "streetshooting" with the GF-1 +20mm. If I had to choose only one bag it would be the Snook. Hold all the gear with spare room for additional gear if you don't mind stack items. Has adequate padding. Is the most weather proof bag. Looks like a typical TB2 messenger bag not a camera bag. Doubles up as an every day messenger bag when you pull the insert out. No external lens compartments, but the option exists for adding couple lens pouches attached to the shoulder strap.

10. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I hadn't noticed this bag until another member pointed it out. It actually looks like a good fit, and I have always been impressed with TTP. So Its definitely on the short list.

11. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Retrospective 5 looks like a good choice

So I picked up a TTP Retrospective 5 at my local camera store. TTP price controls pretty good so I bought local instead of online.

this is the 5th TTP bag I have had. I have a UD40 and Backpack still.

This bag seems to be a very good fit for my 4/3 kit, which as grown rapidly in two weeks. I think I have what I need though.

I have the follwing in the bag. G3 with 14-42 kit lens. 45-175X, 100-300, 25PL and 45PL. Camera in the middle. Telephotos on the sides. Primes in the front. I took out the rain cover because I won't need it. But it could stuff in an exterior pocket if need be. Its pretty full now. I don't think I could had much except maybe a pancake lens. So I will try it for a couple of days and let you all know.

12. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    If anyone is thinking about a Retrospective bag, Thinktank is having a mail-in rebate running from 11/25/11 to 12/31/11 of $15-$20. Not a big savings but it's a little bit. Here is the rebate form.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yohan

yohan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm using a Domke bag. This is not how I divide the compartments but just to give you an idea:

E-P3 with 14-42 RII Kit and an extra Pentax 50mm in there with plenty more space.

14. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I've used the Crumplers and ThinkTank Retro range recently (and Lowepro, Kata, National Geographic and Naneu Pro previous to that), but I keep coming back to Domke. Recently outgrew my much-loved F5XB - as sported by yohan above - and stepped one up to the Domke F10. Previous to my latest rationalisation it fit the GF1 (with LVF1 atached), 14-45, 45-200, PL25, 20/1.7 and FL360 (before that the EP3 with VF2 attached, 14-42, 40-150 and Fuji X10). Should be perfect for what you mention....depending on the size of these telephotos of course. I'd encourage you to check out Mike Thomas's demo of it that he did on my request...he is a great guy!

15. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'm using a Zkin Babylon. And it has room enough for the following items:

- Panasonic GH2 14-45mm lens
    - Panasonic GF2 14mm/2.5 lens
    - 25mm/1.4 lens
    - 45mm/1.8 lens
    - Lens Pen
    - Lens Cap
    - 2 Extra Battery
    - Portable mini tripod

ZKIN - Collections :: Babylon

I personally love the style of the zkin bags. And I'd rate their quality as 9.9/10 and looks 10/10. High recommended bag, but a lil pricy imo.