1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ideal, easy workflow for minimizing noise (GX1)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by agentlossing, Feb 25, 2014.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I like my GX1 a lot, but sometimes the levels of noise present in photos throws me off - when I shoot jpeg I set NR to -2, as I don't like the smudging that shows up, but it seems like the GX1 sensor outputs a couple different kinds of noise, which (to my inexpert eye) look like a fine-grain luminance noise and a blotchier chroma noise. The luminance noise I don't have a big problem with, but the chroma speckling I'd like to get rid of, without softening the image overmuch.

I gather, of course, that raw is the way to go, but my copy of LR (2.something) maddeningly doesn't handle the raw files, unless I put them through the DNG converter. Which I can do, it's just a very long workaround to process the RW2 files to DNG and then edit and save to jpeg, all without any automation.

Does anyone have an easier way? I have a somewhat old computer, so upgrading to a newer copy of LR brings slowdowns and such with it, and I'm also looking to avoid expense (my photography budget is dry at the moment).

2. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You need a tool which will smooth the color while preserving the luminance. Separating the image into Lab and smoothing the a and b images, then recombining will do it. As will more automatic tools while do the same thing. I can't recommend a particular software since you say your computer is old, and what I use (darktable) really uses the CPU (and GPU if you have one it can use).

Also if you are interested in cleaning up noise I recommend you stick with the raw file rather than the jpg. How about trying UFRaw or other standalone RAW converter?