Idea: Programmable F-stops

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gnaztee, Dec 2, 2011.

1. gnaztee

gnaztee New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2011
    I shoot a Pentax DSLR and, for the last few months, an E-P2. I shoot almost exclusively in Aperture-priority mode with both cameras. On a recent trip I found myself frustrated with how many "spins" I had to give the thumb wheel on the Oly to change aperture (not a stop or two, but going from 1.7 to 5.6, for example). Has anyone ever heard of a digital camera that allows the user to program in the f-stops he wants the camera to scroll through when turning the aperture scroll wheel? For example, setting only full stops so you can scroll through faster, or even only two stops, like wide open and f8 for quickly switching between shallow DOF and general street shooting. Just a thought, and something I haven't heard of before. Has anybody else?
  2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

e-p3 can do full stops
    change the EV Step option
  3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    As Grant says, you can change the exposure value intervals. My Nikons could all do 1/3, 1/2, or full steps, and I suppose your Pentax can as well. I know for a fact that your Olympus can. This is why it's useful to read the manual, you'd be surprised what kind of settings and capabilities your cameras have. Look at page 102 for specific instructions on how to set this.
  4. gnaztee

gnaztee New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2011
    Well, I feel stupid. I did read the manual, but I guess I just didn't make the rather obvious connection between "EV steps" and "f-stops". As far as the Pentax, I don't need this as the scroll wheel is large enough to move through the stops quickly. Thanks to you both.