1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

idea for oly color profiles--what do you think?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Mar 3, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    after watching some of the pen f reviews and that front dial got me thinking that it could be pretty cool if oly would somehow build on that feature to allow users to design problems on their computers and save them to their cameras.

this way, instead of shooting, downloading and editing and then uploading to a website, for example, you could already have your profiles in the camera and just shoot and share. this could also be an interesting way to "compete" w/ fuji film profiles. perhaps users could even create and share profiles such you could just download them to your pen f.

what do y'all think? i think that would be pretty awesome.

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    From my time with Canon, I seem to remember that they do something like this with their Picture Styles. I never used any of them though.

3. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I agree, it would be awesome. Early in the digital age some cameras had tone curves that could be modified and downloaded. People used to post their curves for others to use.

Nikon has a feature where you can save a group of settings for contrast, sharpness, saturation, and a few other things in the camera. If you use Nikon's editing software on your computer you can copy these profiles back and forth between computer and camera ... as I recall ... it's been a while. This was on a Nikon mirrorless.

Another step along the way to what you envision is cameras that allow you to shoot raw and then, after the shot, do post processing in the camera with art filters and whatnot. That saves a JPEG along with the original unaltered RAW file. This feature is showing up in new cameras now. Add the ability to save the formula that was used to create the JPEG and you're set.