1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'd like to ban the following words and acronyms...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    ...from photo discussions. Actually I'm sure I'm just as guilty as anyone but I'll start. I have a two-fer going. I'd be perfectly happy never seeing any cameras or lenses described as a jewel, little jewel or jewel like and we really need to come up with something better than IQ.

NEXT.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    How about we replace IQ by judging lenses based on the results of a standardized Cumulative Rendering Assessment Protocol, or CRAP.

• Like Like x 6
  3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    How about anything with the topic "equivalence"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    "Tack sharp."

Hearing that just makes me rage. :p

• Like Like x 3
  5. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Instagram and "iPhoneography"

I love my iPhone because it's a nice smartphone, but it's a dumb camera(at least for anything but snapshots.)

• Like Like x 4
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Vote for me as moderator and I will rock the ban hammer like no other!!! No one will be safe, not even Amin, lol

typed on my phone, sorry.

• Like Like x 4
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Speaking of bans, why do you have the "banned user" moniker? Inside joke or bad behavior?

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IQ means Inteligent Quotient of Photographer ..

Hi
    IQ should stand for Intelligent Quotient of the photographer and not Image quality of the camera .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. Depth...of...field...control

Heck, even the word bokeh has been ruined for me somewhere along the line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Back in my childhood all I know about FF is short of Fantastic Four, and people take a picture with 35mm film now all I see is FF, I think it's it's a misleading term so how about ban the FF....?:rofl:

11. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Calling the OLED on the OM-D a LCD!

12. TDP

TDP Guest

I've always thought of myself as a grumpy a-hole, yet none of these phrases bother me. Ack!

:smile:

13. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    You got my vote on that one!

14. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I just really don't want to see this forum become just another tech-oriented site (you all know which I speak of) where every user voices their opinion of so called image quality, sharpness, noise comparison, etc. This is my favorite forum simply because people actually talk about photography, and shooting, and post examples of work rather than argue about equivalence and who has the best sensor.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree. I see far less hits on an image thread than any gear related thread.
    Cheers

16. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I suggest we do away with the term "togs" as slang for "photographers." I hate seeing people use it - drives me mad.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've got no axe to grind, but I always chuckle at the common "I want more DOF" when what they actually mean is less DOF.

I do rankle, though, at "I want more bokeh" though I like the term bokeh, when used properly.

18. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

Can we please introduce the ban on acronyms ASAP :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - +1 - +1 I try very hard to view and comment on the image threads. If folks take time to post the least we can do is acknowledge their contribution. Even a short comment lets folks know that you took time to look at their photo. The lack of attention paid to image posts bothers me far more than acronyms or buzz words. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Haha, often I do, really, want more depth of field. Why is everybody these days obsessed with getting at least half their picture out of focus? :biggrin: