icon's Oly 45 seems to like girls, or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iconindustries, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hadn't tried out my new Olympus 45 properly yet, but I now feel convinced its a nice lens. I previously used the Rokkor 45mm so I am used to its focal length and it seems I enjoy this focal length more than the 20mm. I find myself enjoying viewing images from this focal length... is seems natural and easy on my eyes.

Since I had both Rokkor and Olympus lenses I tried them out side by side. Strangely the Rokkor was slightly wider than the Olympus but rendered almost identically. The Rokkor had slightly more contrast. To my eye sharpness was the same.

Here are some pictures with the lens. I might be biased but I think the oly lens really likes girls. He performs pretty hard, and I think he succeeds.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7030818687/" title="Brittany by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="601" alt="Brittany "></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6884768618/" title="Brittany by iconindustries, on Flickr">"601" height="800" alt="Brittany"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6884781358/" title="Jasmine by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="601" alt="Jasmine"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6884719320/" title="Jas by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="601" alt="Jas"></a>

Best friends

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6884718954/" title="Jas and Brittany by iconindustries, on Flickr">"689" height="800" alt="Jas and Brittany"></a>

• Like Like x 13
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Very Very nice set Icon
    Thanks for sharing
    I'm gonna have to revisit my Rokkor

• Like Like x 1
  3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Nice shots! Lucky man. :wink:

The reason that portraits shot at this focal length look right is that the angle of view of the lens forces you to take shots from a distance that produces a flattering perspective for portraiture.

Perspective is a function of distance, and only of distance. Portraits shot from exactly the same distance with a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens will have exactly the same perspective. The only difference between the shots will be the magnification of the subject, which will fill the field of view of the telephoto but will be only a small part of the field of view of the wide angle.

But crop that wide angle shot to give the same angle of view as the telephoto, then resize it so it is the same size and the perspective will be exactly the same.

People get confused about "wide angle perspective" and "telephoto perspective" when there is no difference in perspective when shots are taken from the same distance. The difference occurs when they use the greater field of view of the wide angle lens to go in close, which changes the perspective. But that change in perspective is because of the closer shooting distance, not because of the focal length or angle of view of the lens.

I have been shooting portraits for 40 years. What I quickly learned - because I was well taught - is that the most pleasing portraits are those made with lenses with a focal length between 85mm and 105mm on full frame (35mm film) because they force you to shoot from optimal distances. A longer lens will give a flat perspective because it forces you to shoot from further away. A shorter lens allows you to shoot from too close, and gives unflattering results.

Tastes differ between countries. The Japanese tend to favour 135mm rather than 85-105mm, giving more of a flat perspective than westerners are comfortable with. Obviously, you can use whatever focal length you wish, but you must be prepared for results that will look different to how people expect natural portraits to look.

By happy coincidence, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 has just the right focal length on m4/3 for a classic portrait - it's a 90mm equivalent on full frame. It also has a very smooth rendition of out of focus backgrounds, or 'good bokeh'. It is as good a portrait lens as any I have ever used, even those from Leica and Carl Zeiss that cost many times more. Sheer delight, as your images show!

Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 4
  4. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I'm convinced - that is a sweet portrait lens.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I think you are gonna get yerself in trouble. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    How do you know your lens isn't a lady, who just understands better what the other ladies need?

:wink:

• Like Like x 3
  7. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Lovely photos!

Damn, just when I thought my GAS was cured. :(

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Your Oly 45 is clearly at ease in this situation, which is a good thing when you think about your (and our) need to grow as a photographer: if you are not devoted to landscape and macro exclusively, a day will come when you will need to be calm and functional in the presence of multiple beautiful women, and provide results nonetheless. Like zone focusing and aperture priority, it's a thing you learn by study and exercise, and I commend your dedication. I've been there and still I'm working on it.

You'll become a great photographer, If you don't get killed before.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well done.. love those shots .. Mine Oly 45 mm 1.8 has yet to find a girl mate .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iconindustries

Cheers Dave. I know you love your wide angle lenses but the 45 seems to do it just right for me.

Wow foto! I appreciate you taking the time to write this and most of all I was able to understand it. I'm young and eager to learn anything you older guys have to say.

Nawww, I think my lens might get me into trouble. :smile:

never thought of lens gender! I'm hoping it will help me get a real lady. Fingers crossed.

I'm a-thinking you won't feel better until you get this lens. To be honest I had no inclination at all to get Olympus gear. It was the good salesmanship of Bhupinder that made me do it. Picking up the GX1 and 45mm lens for $730 (including postage) made it pretty simple:)

Thanks Alf. I enjoy seeing your pictures as they pop up occasionally. I'm not sure about taking pictures of lots of people at one time, I like to be one on one so I can't get to know the person better. Photography is my way of making friends.

you need to take it to work- although that could be very very awkward haha
    You'll havto tell em that you need a photo for ID purposes.

11. Iconindustries

Best Friends Forever...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7030817485/" title="Friends by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="601" alt="Friends"></a>​

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iconindustries

For some reason Silver Efex decided I wasn't licensed anymore so I had to make do with black and white processing in Lightroom. Jasmine...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7034654971/" title="Jasmine by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="604" alt="Jasmine"></a>​

• Like Like x 1
  13. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

You are very, very welcome. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Are these shots all postprocessed? Or OOC jpegs?

They look stunning

15. Bhupinder2002

R u sure u r convoked or u want me to convince u??
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bhupinder2002

This is one of the best shots I have seen here mate. I wish I could borrow ur models ..hahhaha
    :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iconindustries

Thankyou mate. I'm only a mechanic so I'm actually surprising myself with the pictures. It's my current hobby

I shoot raw and process my pictures mostly in Aperture. Recently I've discovered an App called Portraiture which works really nice on the skin.

If you pick out a picture I can explain in more detail what I did to it.

best,
    icon

18. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    nr 2 with the beautiful eyes :cool:

19. Iconindustries

One thing I have discovered since yesterday ( when I had a light bulb moment comparing pictures:smile:) is when a person is looking up into the sky their eyes are very clear and wide. The picture below of my friend Chantè was the one I was comparing. I took this picture (with adapted 45mm rokkor) as I was standing on the roof of my car looking down on her. She was standing, looking up at me as shown here.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6971743667/" title="P1180026 (1) by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="535" alt="P1180026 (1)"></a>

I don't know what it is but it could be something to do with less glare or the infinite depth of the sky. It works anyway:)

So regarding this picture, I had Brittany laying on her tummy and looking up at me (into the sky) and because she's looking up it makes her open her eyes wide.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6884768618/" title="Brittany by iconindustries, on Flickr">"601" height="800" alt="Brittany"></a>

From memory I added a little black point in Aperture (similar to contrast but way better). The photo then went through 'Portraiture' to smooth the skin, then back into Aperture. I went through my presets and came across one called 'vibrant and defined'. This added nice vibrancy/contrast adjustments along with a complimentary tone curve. I brought the exposure down upped the highlights to clear up the extremely bright face. Pulled contrast back down. Selected the brush function in Aperture and touched up a few marks on her face and then brushed her eyes with some vibrancy. Brushed around her eyes and lashes with the sharpening tool. Blew her a kiss and exported the picture:smile:

If you have Aperture I can email you the preset I used.

I hope this make sense:)
    Best,
    icon

• Like Like x 2
  20. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Great shots. I don't think my wife would be too happy if I found models like yours. I'm only a hobbyist, but I've read and used the idea that looking up can also help flatter someone who's a little older or heavier because it makes them (mainly their neck) look thinner. Your models obviously don't have these issues.