iconindustries photographs a young girl :-)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iconindustries, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Had some fun yesterday with a friend who luckily is a neighbour. I persuaded her to allow me to take some photos and I knew I had to use my favourite 45mm Rokkor lens. I'm really pleased with how the lens performed and am super proud of my GF1. With my limited knowledge with Aperture and Lightroom I tried to vary the processing to give a different atmosphere to each picture.

How did I go?:smile:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6902103443/" title="P1-2 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="684" alt="P1-2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6902107249/" title="P1160634-2 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="684" alt="P1160634-2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6902106017/" title="P1160662 by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6902106017_ca42860657_b. "1024" height="684" alt="P1160662"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6902110311/" title="P1160666 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="684" alt="P1160666"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6902101143/" title="P1160665-2 by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6902101143_59e3caf0de_b. "1024" height="684" alt="P1160665-2"></a>​

• Like Like x 20
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exellent.I wish I had a young girl in my neighbourhood like that ...
    :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    I not competent at all in portraits, but from my point of view you did very well.
    I think nr. 3 are sensational.
    I would like to add it to my favourites at Flickr, but if my wife see it......:horse:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

Last two are my favourites one..
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    Great shots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

How did you go?
    Spectacularly well I'd say!

Those are some great looking photos.
    Course it helps to have such a beautiful model.
    I bet she's stoked with them.

Love the second one - the B&W with the camera, but they're all top notch

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

This is my entry ..first few shots with EPL2 and PL25.14
    Cheers
    Lets see which young girl is more cute ..hahaah

P2193656. P2193507.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How old is she? That last one looks like a great Senior Year Book photo (if you do those down under). You have a talent for portraits.

In #2 -- just curious -- is that your camera, or hers?

I do love #3, but it feels like she needs a book in front of here there.

You make it sound like you've not done this much. If that's the case, then you just have raw talent!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fantastic work, Brady! I like them all, but the fifth might be my favourite. I suspect your neighbour is far too young for me, so I'll leave my comments at that...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    #2 is my fave ...... 'cause it's got a camera in it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bhupinder2002

Last two are my fav and I am shifting to Tasmania if I get so beautiful neighbourhood ...
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'm not being critical, these ARE wonderful, but I expect you're looking for input other than compliments. There's a trick to the hand on the face. Without bogging the subject down in portrait details, explain that you want her head in her hand, but with no pressure on her face. Barely touching to show no space, but no distortion from actually putting weight on her cheek or cheekbone. Most people get that, and it is a good conversation with your "model" to make her feel like she is being treated like a model. Having said that, I would have moved myself a bit to my left to see a bit more of the hand side of her face, my left/her right. There's just bit of stress/tension on her face there I don't like.

• Like Like x 2
  13. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I like #3 & 4 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    Great shot, I really like #2 & #5.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Superb images Icon! That Minolta 45 sure is sharp wide open! I should use mine more...

Love #2 because of the camera, using props can really perk up the photo, but I always think about it after the shoot when it's too late. lol. That brings me to #3, wonderful shot, but I feel like she should be reading a book instead of just staring at the grass. :smile:

Overall great job, I would be proud if I had taken these myself.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iconindustries

wow, thanks a ton ! It's a busy morning here so I'll read everyones comments in more depth later today. As I mentioned this was the first time to do this kind of thing seriously- it's always been my 7 yr old sister or a quick grab shot of my cousin ect. But 1st time as a 'photoshoot' as they like to call it.

I took one with my nikon and I'll add it here just because I reckon its cute.

I'll talk you later guys. See ya

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6905185399/" title="molly by iconindustries, on Flickr">"1024" height="680" alt="molly"></a>​

• Like Like x 2
  17. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Very nice. My only criticism would be that in some of the pics, I find the bokeh to be a tad busy for my taste ... a little to distracting from the (lovely) subject.

18. Iconindustries

I'm Lucky:) You should go door knocking!

Sawfish, thanks mate. Please by all means add it to your favourites:) I'm not sure what we can think up to tell your wife but do it anyway. Asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission.:smile:

I'm glad you like them Timos.

Retroboy I appreciated your comments. As I said this is my first go and you give me the encouragement I need to try a few more.

It's nice to have such nice compliments from an awesome guy like you. She is 16 going on 17 years old. Just a whippersnapper yet.

And yep in No.2 that's my camera. I thought wouldn't it be great to showoff the old EL.

I take note on what you say on No. 3. It all happens so fast it's hard to think of things like that at the time. Practice!

Awww, thanks Nic.

I new someone would like the camera :smile: Thanks for the smile

I always thought Tasmanians had 2 heads. I'm not in Tasmania. lol

wow SRHEdD you are a genius. Thankyou for the tips. I havto say she wiggled around a lot and i had to snap as she went. I'll make a mental note of your thoughts and use them next time. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Cheers! Hanzo

And you to Rex. No. 5 is my favourite too

Hey Spatulaboy I'm happy that you like them. I always like your photos and I aspire to try to take pictures as good as yours. ( I have a fair way to go lol) I didn't even think of a book! Good tip. The camera was a last minute thing and I'm glad I tried it. I love the way the Rokkor 45mm is so easy to focus. Snaps into focus so fast.

I'm glad you commented Debbie. I gotta hear a womans point of view as well.:smile: I didn't think of the bokeh at the time. I had the lens nearly wide open so it would have been about 2.8. Maybe I could stop down a little more next time.

Thanks each and everyone. You give me the thumbs up to try more in the future!

19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Actually, stopping down would make it even worse. I think you would need to either pick a different background that does not have so much contrast between shade and light, or move the subject even further away from the background so the bokeh becomes more pronounced (blurred).

• Like Like x 1
  20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Icon you are way too kind... I'm just a dude that likes taking pictures. Once again these are great and if they are your first attempts at a true portrait shoot, then you are a natural!

I am actually quite new at this sort of thing myself. I totally understand you when you mention the bit about her moving about and you were just snapping away not noticing details that might ruin or improve the shot. I was totally like that with my first few attempts. After being disappointed with the results I finally realized something: I was not in control! There was not enough communication between the model and myself. As a result the photos looked ok, but feel more like snapshots. Don't be afraid to tell them to hold the pose longer, or stop doing the thing they are doing with their hand, etc. They really do need your direction and you should have a pretty good idea of the shot you want.

I think that's how we all become better photographers. We learn and apply to the next shoot, then apply what we learned from that one onto the next, and so on.