1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

icon shoots a wedding. A few photos

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Iconindustries, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day friends. I was asked about 2 weeks prior to my friends wedding if I could take wedding photos for them. The photographer they had in mind ended up being wound up in China and wasn't sure about being quite ready in time. I haven't really kept up with the friendship and the last time I would have talked to the girl (the bride) would have at least been a year. When her parents asked if I could do the photos, I was like 'yeah sure, that would be awesome'. I was excited, but 10 minutes later doubt started to creep in and I wasn't sure If I had the ability to capture and create the type of photos they were looking for. I wasn't really told what they wanted except to be there at a certain time. I have never been the main photog at a wedding before. At a few of my cousins weddings I had my nikon D90 and shot candids and and gave them to the wedding couple as a gift, so no stress there!
    Recently I sold my D90 as I was happy enough with my OM-D and mu-43 kit. I knew my OM-D and the gear I have does perform well but I was unsure of my ability. I'm not an out there person and I'm not great at organising people.

In the portrait thread I was replying to Spatulaboy's comment regarding a photo when I wrote , "A friend has asked me to photograph their wedding on the weekend, just stressing out slightly"

Anyway I woke up the next morning and received an awesome message from the Great guy Livnius. I would like to say Joe that you have no idea what encouragement you gave me in that message. From that moment I changed my attitude and had a resolve to do the best I could. You said I had what it took to take good photos and I realised I needed to believe in myself. I faced the weekend with my OM-D my 14, 25, and 45mm.

Then It rained! It was an outdoor wedding so they made it short and sweet to make use of the small reprieve when the rain stopped nicely for some time. I kept calm and focused on taking photos.

It was all over in a flash and before I knew it was night-time and I was sitting in front of my computer loading the photos. Here's a few of them. I hope they'll pass the cut.

Special thanks to Joe, Perfect timing mate.

Best,

Brady

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8421534890/" title="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="534" alt="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8421533004/" title="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8421533004_0235bbc190_c. "800" height="534" alt="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8420436137/" title="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8420436137_08c003fa14_c. "800" height="534" alt="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8420438275/" title="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8420438275_cb24d547df_c. "800" height="533" alt="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8421531404/" title="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8421531404_a5a6ee772f_c. "800" height="534" alt="Matt and Gabriella's Wedding"></a>

• Like Like x 30
  2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Well, I'd say you did great! Congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Makes the cut. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    They made me smile so looks like you did well :), the last two in particular are lovely, you really caught the moment in that final one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Did you orchestrate the guys on the bridge are were they just walking in formation? Good job!

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If the few you've posted here are any indication, I think you did well and I suspect they'll be happy with the results. Good going! :2thumbs:

I really like the composition of the shot with the groomsmen walking on the bridge, though to be nit-picky my eye wants it to be framed symmetrically spaced from the red bridge columns on each side.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Great job :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    You did a fine job. And you're braver than I. Nothing short of a death threat could get me to shoot anyone's wedding again. Been there, done that (not as well as you I confess), and the stress was too much for this habitual worrywart.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Fantastic job Brady. LOL I really didn't think anything of it to be honest. Your work has always been top notch and I knew you had the skills! I believe anyone would feel nervous doing it for the first time. The fact that someone had asked you to perform this important task is a testament to their confidence in you and a great honor. These photos proved my point. Good job man!

Oh and that Joe: What a swell guy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Excellent job! Over and above the great gear you brought, your strong composition and technique, you seem to have established great rapport with your subjects; that counts for far more than anything else, in my book. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Taylor

Taylor New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2011
    Cecil Plains Australia
    Taylor
    They are Awesome Brady :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  12. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Wow! Fantastic shots. You did very well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Those are just stunning! Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm glad you guys think they are ok. I need to get on with processing the rest of the shots. Kinda procrastinating :smile:

Yeah I thought of that in one of those light bulb moments. :smile:

Thanks Jay. I'm glad you mentioned that because I had actually cropped that image thinking it would be better to have it off centre but I can definitely go back to the uncropped picture.

I'm thinking the same thing. 1 or 2 people at the same time are enough for me!

You're a good mate Vince. I like to hear what you say because your great work backs it up.

Made my day Penfan.:2thumbs:

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well done Brady..We are proud of you .I feel like getting married again
    and I would love to have you as my official wedding photographer..hahaahahhh:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks really professional. Great job,beautiful bride.

17. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Brady, exactly the kind of photos id love on my wedding. Nicely done!

P.S that guy and his beard has a love story of their own. Epic beard! Noice :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

18. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    they look really good! as mentioned, strong composition. i'm sure the bride & groom will be very happy with them!

19. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    ...How has no one even made mention of the AMAZING beard!?

20. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Awesome beard it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App