1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Iceland - Wildlife and Landscapes

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Hypilein, Oct 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Over the summer I spent a litte more than six weeks in Iceland travelling and working on medieval manuscripts in Reykjavík. I thought I would share some of the photos now that I have finally found the time to cull and edit through the immense amount I took.

Before I started working in Reykjavík I spent about a week travelling the ring road and hiking in Austurland. Because I was travelling with my mother, who has not been to Iceland before we stopped at most of the major attractions in the south. Also, they are too beautiful to just drive past, although the increasing masses of other tourists (make no mistake, I was no better) makes some places a lot less attractive than they used to be. First stops were Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss and Jökulssárlon. Iceland Forum Post-1. Iceland Forum Post-2. Iceland Forum Post-3.

On the way further east, I saw my first ever wild reindeer. I don't know what it did there all alone, but it did not like us getting close, so I was happy we had the 100-300 with us. Iceland Forum Post-4.

The Eastfjords of Iceland are probably one of the most beautiful places in Iceland if such a ranking could justifiably exist. It certainly is mostly tourist free. We went hiking on a few day hikes in the area of Borgarfjörður-Eystri, a beautiful little village famous for being home to the capital of elves. Especially recommended is a fairly long hike to a place called Stórúrð, which as the name suggests features a field full of giant boulders with a stunning little lagoon of glacial water. As we were there at the beginning of July, most of the snow was still around.

Iceland Forum Post-9. Iceland Forum Post-10. Iceland Forum Post-8. Iceland Forum Post-5.

Borgarfjörður-Eystri is also the home of a puffin colony called Hafnarhólmi. Iceland Forum Post-6. Iceland Forum Post-7.

Surprisingly, the P35-100 turned out more useful than the longer 100-300. The brighter aperture and the fact that the puffins get fairly close, made the 100-300 just way to clumsy in operation.

• Like Like x 16
    • Winner Winner x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    We returned to Reykjavík using the north route via Mývatn and Akureyri with a stop at Góðafoss.

Iceland Forum Post-11.

I had only seen this waterfall in the winter, where the difference between grey/white sky and white snow was only marginal.

We went on to dive Silfra, a glacial crevasse with absolutely clear, but also very cold (2-4°C) water. The following pictures were taken with a Panasonic LX7 in a Nauticam housing, with a wideangle wetlens. Iceland Forum Post-12. Iceland Forum Post-13.

After that first week I began working and could only get out on trips for the weekends. First weekend was a trip to the Westfjords. Dynjandi has always been a favourite for me, although I never managed to get a good photo. I think I succeeded this time, although I would have preferred a few less clouds as I was there at sunset.

Iceland Forum Post-14.

Trying to take pictures of the birdcliffs of Látrabjarg at sunset unfortunately was made impossible by a thick layer of clouds. Instead, I tried myself at getting some of the Puffins as they were landing, with relative success.

Iceland Forum Post-15.

Lóndrángar in Snæfellsnes was another weekend destination. I went there twice that day. Once to scout out the location, when I scrambled around on some rocks to take a seascape shot and then at evening to finally get a good sunset. Iceland Forum Post-16. Iceland Forum Post-17.

The last two weeks of the trip I spent travelling through the highlands by bus, visiting Kerlingarfjöll, Hveravellir Myvatn and Landmannalaugar. I've limited myself to two pictures here, as I couldn't really decide on any others. One is of Grjótagjá, a cave with hotspring water near Mývatn. It recently been forbidden to go swimming there, but if you are there over the winter it might be possible. I can certainly recommend it from experience in the past. The other is from Landmannalaugar. Unfortunately despite spending three nights there all I got at sunset or sunrise was clouds everywhere, so I had to live with dramatic skies during the day. Iceland Forum Post-18. Iceland Forum Post-19.

I appreciate comments, critique and questions. Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 22
    • Winner Winner x 11
  3. is1971de

is1971de Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2016
    London, UK
    Fantastic photos with so much atmosphere

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Nice set of photos. Maybe someday I will get to go there.

5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    wow. nice shots!

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I really liked the bird and underwater shots - it's a very unique perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Also, thank you to @barry13@barry13 for the feature.

8. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Iceland looks/feels so small on a map, but clearly it contains a lifetims of shooting opportunities. Thanks for sharing your views of it!
    Your composition and exposure are excellent - or your PP skills are doubly excellent!! :tomato2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Fantastic shots!

10. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I've been meaning to get to Reykjavik to work on medieval manuscripts for a while now - just haven't gotten around to it. Good to see someone has it covered . . .

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. AlterKnabe

AlterKnabe Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Germany
    You have brought home some really great pictures :bravo-009:
    In July 2016 I spent a couple of days in Iceland. Since I joined a group I did not have the chance to take time to compose photos like you did; but I'm afraid that even if I would have had the time, I would not have been able to compete with your results :2thumbs:
    For everyone who did not yet visit Iceland, my recommendation: Go there and enjoy.
    But be prepared that Iceland is no inexpensive travel destination :sorry:

12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Really nice shots - love the colours you've achieved - just right.

13. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes, going on your own really makes it a lot easier to spend some time on compositions. Although I have to give credit to my mom for the first week, where she was very patient when I took out the tripod to take the panoramas.