ice fishing

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by krugorg, Feb 28, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I had a day off with nothing planned, so I decided to head up to Lake Mille Lacs to checkout the ice fishing. This is a big lake here in Minnesota for ice fishing with a good deal of ice houses, private and resort managed, and a ice road system with streets lettered (so you can call in a pizza or beer delivery).

The winter was warmer than usual here and there were some issues with people getting stranded when parts of the ice broke up early in the season
    (news article). It is pretty solid now, towards the end of the season, but they still want to make sure you stick to the plowed ice roads.

My little Subaru on one of the designated ice roads:

<a href="" title="ice road by krugorg, on Flickr">[​IMG]"528" height="640" alt="ice road"></a>

The ice houses range from small car portable shacks (thick vinyl) to large sleep-in houses that must be moved on sleds. It is pretty common to see satellite dishes and the more stationary shacks are LP gas heated. I did see a solar power arrays and a wind turbine or two this year.

Some of the ice fishing houses:

<a href="" title="sweet icehome by krugorg, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="456" alt="sweet icehome"></a>

<a href="" title="icefishing shack on Lake Mille Lacs by krugorg, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="448" alt="icefishing shack on Lake Mille Lacs"></a>

<a href="" title="my icehome has wheels by krugorg, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="437" alt="my icehome has wheels"></a>

all photos from my E-P3 with Olympus 12/2
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Nice shots mate. You really nailed the snow exposure. I did my first bit of snow photography recently and it can get tricky.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks, man! It was my first time trying to shoot in that bright of sunlight with snow. I did exposure bracketing, which probably saved me. I was almost always using the +1. It was interesting to try LR's auto levels... always dropped it down to where the sky was a royal blue (pretty but not real) and the snow was a bit gray.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Compared to where I live, it's like some kind of strange alien landscape. Love the colour of the sky against the snow, and the sense of isolation the wide-angle lens brings.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I understand that this is recreational and all ... but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What's wrong with a game of Scrabble?

The fish you snag, are they considered fresh or frozen?

• Like Like x 2
  6. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

Order pizza??? I thought you're suppose to catch lunch!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Beautiful Minnesota landscapes!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Brian1954

Brian1954 Mu-43 Rookie

It's really hard for me to reconcile these photos with the kind of winter we've had in Southwestern Ontario this year. I've ice fished Lake St. Clair many times when it looked just like your images. This year there was no ice at all. Today it is pouring rain again. I like the way the perspective you've given your photo emphasizes the snow drifts. Thanks for posting these Kyle, a taste of real winter for me without having to drive in it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The last time I went, a few years ago, was with some college buddies. We caught one fish the entire weekend and it was a trash fish (eel pout). We did manage to go through a pretty impressive alcohol stockpile and played quite a bit of cards. :biggrin: Going out on a limb here, but I think it is more about guys getting out of the house on the weekend... kind of grown up tree houses.

Haha, true! This lake is only a couple hours away from Minneapolis, so it is pretty densely populated with cabins and resorts. Not very rustic at all. You do see some guys out, like my father-in-law, sitting on a bucket in the open and using a manual auger. Hard core!

Thanks for the comments. I hear ya on the weather, Brian. We have been warm and dry in Minneapolis... pretty weird and a little depressing. If it is going to be winter, I will take the snow and cold over rain and brown grass any day.

Thanks! I wondered if the wide distortion would be distracting.

• Like Like x 1