1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IBIS vs OIS decisions

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tkbslc, May 21, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was kind of struck with a particular thought today with regards to the ramifications of the decision to go for OIS lenses vs an IBIS body:

• If you go with an IBIS body, then you can pick any lens and have stabilization.
    • If you go with OIS lenses, then you can pick any camera body you want and have stabilization.

One choice frees up the lens selection process and the other frees up the body selection process.

Of course some good lenses are not made in OIS versions and IBIS bodies don't always come in the form factor or with features you'd want. So it is not that simple. But I just thought it was interesting to think of from that perspective.

2. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I'm not sure I agree that it is that black and white. TBH I don't really think about it ever. I've got one IBIS body and one not. I've got two OIS lenses and 8 not. I'm not sure most of my shooting benefits much from whichever kind of *IS (apart from the long tele).

:)

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I keep my lenses for far longer than my bodies, so it makes sense for me to choose stabilized lenses, if possible. That way I can get the largest choice of bodies.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    IBIS is nice, but I lived so long in a world where there was no stabilization unless you got it in the lenses - there really was no other choice. I like having the IBIS because it works with my legacy Nikon lenses.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I find OIS extremely useful on the 100-300, but I rarely use shutter speeds where either OIS or IBIS is that useful on shorter lenses. For me neither is an essential must have. One body has IBIS the other two don't. I cut my teeth on film SLRs where metering was a sophisticated electronic aid though :redface: