IBIS vs in-lens IS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rudi, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    A question for all you Olympus :43: long-time shooters. :smile:

I'm a long-time Canon EOS shooter, and with the in-lens IS of the Canon lenses, you can see a marked reduction in camera shake when IS is activated. I am not seeing the same thing when using IBIS with my E-PL1. Is that normal? As far as I can tell the IS does work, but I'm not seeing this reduction in camera shake on the LCD. I assume that the IS kicks in as the shutter opens and the exposure is taken.

Is the Panasonic Mega OIS similar to the Oly IBIS, or is it much like the Canon IS? I know it's an in-lens IS, but I wonder if it works the same (I haven't got a Panny lens to test).

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    On my G1 I can choose if I want IS on full time, or just when shots are taken (or off).

3. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    I knew someone would tell me to RTFM. I *have* been meaning to... one of these days... :smile:

4. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    OK, I did skim the manual (as I did when I first got the camera), and there is no such setting on the E-PL1. I have three IS modes, IS mode 1 is what I should be using for stabilisation in both axes. OK, I have that set, but I still don't see the image stabilising as I half-press the shutter button (I have a Canon 50mm lens one the camera, and the focal length set to 50mm in the IS menu).

Is this normal for the E-PL1???

5. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi Rudi,
    The Olympus "In Body Image Stabilisation" actually moves the sensor while the exposure is happening, because the camera is not "exposing" during live view, no stabilistaion occurs (you can feel the camera tremble during an IBIS operation).

In contrast, the Panasonic approach of lens based Mega OIS, changes the optical path incident to the sensor whenever it is turned on; meaning that if it is set to "always on" the live view image is also stabilised.

Anecdotal evidence suggests both approaches deliver a similar advantage, with the edge perhaps going to the lens based mechanism for long telephoto, but the IBIS advantage is of course always present; for any lens, including legacy lenses.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    OK, I thought that's what might be happening, but it's good to have it confirmed. Thanks!

And I just tried a 1.5 sec exposure with IS, and you certainly can't miss that racket! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2