1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

IBIS vs gimbal vs U shaped handle

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by VincentSD, Mar 19, 2015.

1. VincentSD

VincentSD New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2015
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, is that a full gimbal with swivel, or just a handle?

Are you intending to use it for video or stills?

There's a discussion in the "Share Birds" thread about a Jobu gimbal system, but it's more than $50:
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/4838/page-283#post-731561
    starts about there, continues over many pages.

Barry

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    The U handle is not a gimbal and serves a different function. IBIS serves yet another function.

For my usage (stills) the U handle would add nothing.

I'd find a decent gimbal useful with my camera on a telescope, or if mounted to my larger DSLR lenses. I'm not sure it would help much with any native lenses. the fluid head I currently use is probably better for video.

IBIS is always a useful option :)

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the OP might be misusing the word "gimbal". It sounds like maybe he's interested in video stablizers from the link and his wording.

5. VincentSD

VincentSD New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2015
    yes, i meant for video. so the U shape doesn't work/works poorly as a stabilizer? how about gimbal vs IBIS? Why do they server diff purpose? they are all for video stabilization, right?

edit: my intended use is for handheld video

6. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I've never used one, but the end result is it lowers the center of gravity which should help somewhat

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    They will all aid video stabilization yes, but that's not the only use of some of them.
    Some versions of IBIS don't work for video, Pentax don't, but I think the Olympus ones do.
    A gimbal head is more for long lenses, allowing smooth tracking without having to support the heavy weight. My 150-500 get quite tiring at airshows... There may be other gimbal based mounts specifically for video if so I don't know these.
    The U handle isn't intended for stills - I expect it will help with video but I rarely do that.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you use a gimbal with E-M5's IBIS you can achieve very steady video indeed.
    I read that somewhere.

9. VincentSD

VincentSD New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2015
    Thank you guys for the reply! I got a basic idea now.

10. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Ideally a videographer would have a U shaped handle, a steady cam (weighted rig) and a gimbal stabilizer, usually motorized. They all serve a slightly different purpose.

A gimbal is just a joint that is placed in a central weighted location to give balance. In modern videography a stabilized gimbal is usually motorized and gives you the ability to do steady cam work when specific 'panning' is needed. Like a pan that would be way to difficult to do with a traditional steady cam. Something that requires specific rotation on either the x or y axis. These can be very expensive. There are also non-electronic gimbals that usually work in a top down orientation where the camera sits below the handle. Though these are not as effective as motorized ones or, in my opinion, traditional weighted steady cams.

A steady cam rig, like the Merlin, is going to give you stabilization for handheld shots based on a weighted pendulum-like (non-electronic) design where the movement is for more generalized shooting, like that of documentary. Ive read some good stuff on this steady cam rig for small cameras from Polaroid. (though they use the word Gimbal here but i don't see a gimbal joint. Its just a weighted grip) http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Stabilizer-Camcorders-Digital-Cameras/dp/B008YKXHFI

Just to be confusing there are stabilized rigs that use mechanical gimbal joints. Those tend to be expensive as well. Over $500

The u shape handle is more for comfort for shooting down low and give a minimal amount of stability but nothing like a steady cam or gimbal can do.

Olympus IBIS is putting all this on its head though as many amateur/pro shooters are finding that good IBIS is the most versatile of all the choices and in the long run, less trouble for 90% of what you would need for handheld shots.

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Try your camera on detailed scene - ibis on and then off (on a tripod) and see which is better. On my EP5 I see cropping and detail smear with IBIS on and more detail and no cropping when off and shot from a tripod.

12. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    Your summary is excellent but you missed one option: a monopod with a video head and a fluid foot. It's not as cool as having a steadicam, but most video is shot from a series of fixed positions and for this the monopod is excellent. And the combination of the rotating head and foot gives superb control in panning shots.

Oh - and Figg rigs have their uses - you can improvise one out of a joby. Good for fast camera movements.