IBIS versus Mega OIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just curious, on Panasonic lenses that have switchable Mega OIS, do you guys use the lens or body stabilization? Do you find one or the other provides substantially better results?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    OIS is nice because it provides a stabilized view while composing the image (IBIS only activates when you release the shutter, while OIS is always active when turned on). IBIS is nice because it stabilizes every lens that you attach to the body. You can only use one or the other though, so although OIS is slightly nicer overall it's more practical to use IBIS and turn off OIS if you are swapping between a lot of lenses with some not stabilized. If you are only using OIS lenses though, then it makes sense to turn IBIS off and just use OIS (that could also reduce shutter lag slightly). There isn't much difference between the two in actual performance.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Between the two in terms of stabilization, I would prefer OIS. The nice thing about IBIS, though, is that lenses can be smaller, which is really sweet. I did try using OIS when I put on Panny lenses, but that just got confusing -- always diving into menus to turn on/off IBIS. Add in legacy glass, and I just found managing my IS overwhelming.

So, for simplicity's sake, I just try to use IBIS unless as Ned says, I might be shooting video and have an OIS lens. But I'm more a stills shooter, so YMMV.

4. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    OIS 14-45mm 45-200mm on G1

OIS with the switch on the lens is so practical, I can enable/disable it whenever I need to which is often, it allows me to see if there is any merit in having it on when zoomed in using the 45-200mm.

I tested my 45-200mm with IBIS (OIS off) on an EPL1 then on my G1 with OIS on, the G1/OIS combination came out with sharper shots every time.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It would be nice if Olympus would put an IBIS On/Off switch on their bodies, but that would balk the trend of having fewer dedicated controls.

It is unfortunate that the only two :43: manufacturers chose to go in opposite directions. It makes you wonder which way third-party manufacturers will go when they come out with new lenses, especially longer ones. If they opt not to have in-lens IS, then they risk Panny owners not buying their lenses. But if they do put it in, then it will be unnecessarily heavy/big/costly for Oly users.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Here is a test of IBIS and OIS: Resolution - Olympus E-P3 Digital Camera Review
    E-P3 IBIS is significantly more effective than Panasonic OIS (14-42mm kit lens). I think for longer focal lengths it could be the opposite though. Overally, E-P3 IBIS is very impressive and probably one stop better than E-PL2 (based on this comparison test). Also, E-P3 IBIS is quite a bit more effective than Sony's SteadyShot (used to be best in class) IBIS.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't think Olympus ever produced a lens with OIS? They should definately either release a zoom OIS lens for video or enable IBIS during video (ala Sony a55).

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Olympus E-System DSLRs have dedicated IS buttons, and you can actually hold it down to activate IS in Live View for up to about 5 seconds. When you do that, the IS motor is very noisy and the 5 second limit leads you to believe that it cannot continue operating like that without burning out.

9. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I think with my XZ-1 the IBIS is on as long as the shutter is half depressed. It's either my XZ-1 or my E-PL1 that did that, I don't have either with me so I can't check.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of IBIS. Not because it's better in quality, but it's one of those set-it-and-forget-it type things. It allows me to use any lens I want and know that I will get the same image stabilization.

10. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I prefer the results from OIS; I find the stabilization to be a little better. But I prefer to buy bodies with IBIS because I then get IS with every lens. I much prefer my 20/1.7 on my Oly bodies.

I just wish Olympus would (could?) look at the state of IS on the lens and turn off IBIS if OIS was actively in use. Remembering to set both IS switches properly is a pain.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    that is certainly interesting on the new IBIS. It'll be good to see more tests to see how effective it is relative to the competition.

And yeah, on the telephoto end, OIS becomes more effective, if anything, for the ability to compose with it.

12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    As long as you calibrate for each lense if it isn't native, you have to give the focal length.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Or if Oly could make a button somewhere on the body to turn off/on IBIS

14. The Four Thirds DSLR bodies had an IS button on the body which was useful, but I guess this was ditched in the rationalisation process when switching the format to Micro Four Thirds. Not quite as annoying as not providing a dedicated, body/lens mounted AF/MF switch, though (which was a Four Thirds issue as well).

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, bringing back the dedicated IS button would be very welcome. Especially for those of us who use panning and tripods/monopods.

I didn't see anything marketed about the improved IS on the E-P3. That's a nice oimprpovement which should have been marketwd!