IBIS to the rescue

Kaiser

Mu-43 Regular
I took these images about 45 minutes after sunset, as a storm was rolling past. No tripod handy so I had to hand hold a couple of shots. The sunlight was disappearing fast so I didnt have time to set up a proper shot. It was just a case of point and shoot really, trying to time my shots with the lightning. Most exposures were around 0.8-1.0 seconds, handheld. Was pleased with how they turned out.

i-sfv99rL-D.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-RqCFTVb-D.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

slau

Mu-43 Regular
How did you 'time your shots with the lightning'? I have been thinking about buying one of those lightning triggers. Thanks.

Kaiser

Mu-43 Regular
How did you 'time your shots with the lightning'? I have been thinking about buying one of those lightning triggers. Thanks.

Just by manually firing the shutter when the lightning started. There were multiple frequent strikes within a few seconds of esch other normslly- so I had a good chance of catching one branch with the longer exposure times. No trigger or anything used.

raschmidt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
I also have found IBIS incredibly useful. I got some blurry waterfall pictures using 1/2-1 second handheld with the IBIS. I had some friends with me using an a7S and another with a Canon 5D, they were staring at my pictures in disbelief. They kept asking where my tripod was. I get frustrated and confused why my pictures area always blurry on my 100D now, I forget about not having IS at slow shutter speeds.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I also have found IBIS incredibly useful. I got some blurry waterfall pictures using 1/2-1 second handheld with the IBIS. I had some friends with me using an a7S and another with a Canon 5D, they were staring at my pictures in disbelief. They kept asking where my tripod was. I get frustrated and confused why my pictures area always blurry on my 100D now, I forget about not having IS at slow shutter speeds.
The guy with the A7S doesn't have to fret, the A7II will have 5-axis IBIS too :p

rparmar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't understand the last comment. The A7S does not have IBIS. The fact that a camera the photographer did not possess includes the feature is no comfort at all!

But, to the OP... nice work!

raschmidt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Haha true, he actually is quite upset because of all the features of the A7 ii. However, our company paid for the camera and he uses it for video work so the A7S is still a good buy. I tried to convince him the GH4 would be a better choice because of the lens selection and OIS on Panasonic lenses but he is a big Sony fan.

I think the IBIS will make the A7 ii a great camera though, it looks like a really tempting buy and I feel it will make Olympus cut the prices on the E-M1.

Latest threads

Top Bottom