1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IBIS settings with macro extension tubes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ante, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    I hope someone can help me out on this. I have been searching the forum but not been able to find anything.

I have started to use various adapted lenses and extension tubes for macro photography. That has raised the question as to how to calculate the focal length to enter in the IBIS menu. Surely it should not be the actual focal length of the lens? Can some pro here please help me? And I am sure some others should have this same issue.

2. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I find that, when shooting macro, IBIS is pretty useless. In order to get any reasonable DOF with extension tubes and macro lenses you'll need to stop down quite a bit, often to f/16 or f/22. That means very slow shutter speeds, on the order of 3/4 second or longer and IBIS isn't really capable of handling that too well. For satisfying macro work you really need a tripod that's rock-steady and a remote (or delayed) shutter button. You'll probably find that focusing hand-held with extension tubes is not very easy, either, since the slightest vibration will set your image to dancing all over the viewfinder, especially when you're using that big Tamron.

If you're really interested in beautiful macro photography, you'll save yourself a lot of frustration by investing in a good tripod, shutter release and focus rail. I found shooting macro to be very frustrating until I added those three tools to my kit.

YMMV, of course, but that's what I found works for me to make shooting macro a joy instead of an exercise in :frown: frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks Bob, I appreciate your comments very much. I may end up with a tripod, but I would really like to start hand-held. I have seen some beautiful macro images on mu43 that were allegedly taken hand-held. That, and my desire to explore legacy lenses (for non-macro work) led me to bying the E-PM1 with IBIS rather than a Pany.

Anyone who uses IBIS for macro?

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    im not a pro by any means, but I don't think the actual focal length of the lens changes with an extension tube, so IS settings should be the same.

If your using an extension tube, im guessing your going for 1:1....If you do manage to get steady handheld 1:1 shots , you should consider becoming a surgeon :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I've been using a Minolta 50mm with the 1:1 convertor and setting IBIS to 50mm. Haven't played around with other focal lengths but this appears to work pretty well for me. I would like to try a focus rail for my tripod and a ring light. Every time I've been trying macro recently it has been windy and the shots have been pretty disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I find that when I have my legacy macros at full magnification I just bump up the focal length setting a couple spots and have a noticeably steadier image in the finders. Bit of trial and error.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    aperture = focal length / diameter of the pupil

When you attach an extension tube, diameter will remain constant, focal length will change, so your exposure will change. You can measure the change in exposure to determine the change in focal length.

If you take an exposure reading prior to using the extension tube and then after using the extension tube, then the ratio of the current exposure over the previous exposure will give you the coefficient for the change in focal length.

I haven't actually tried this, so take it for what its worth, but I think it will work.

8. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Hmmm... seems kind of a long shot? :smile: But you may have something there. But surely, should there not be a simple formula involving the original focal length and the amplification? I just can't figure out exactly how...

The way I figure the apparent focal length has to increase with extension tubes is simply because it gets a lot more shaky. So for sure I have to enter a longer focal length. But what xxx number? :tongue: I still hope someone here has the answer!

A beer :drinks: to the one who gives the solution! :biggrin:

9. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    Right, so what is "a spot"? If I start with, say, a 100mm lens, and add 50mm extension tube. How many spots is that? :confused: (I know, just kind of joking, you DO say it is trial and error... but if you have come up with any kind of feeling for this, please share if you like!)

10. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Well with my 90mm focused down to 0.5x (2:1) I find a setting around 135mm more effective than 90mm.

You can go here: Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses to figure out your magnification with the lens/tube combination you are using.

• Like Like x 1