IBIS Settings: is this a firmware bug?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fitzrovian, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    IBIS-1 randomly resets itself to IBIS-Auto within Manual mode.

Whilst in manual mode - the 'M' setting - IBIS occasionally and randomly turns-on as IBIS-Auto, which I never want. I have programmed manual mode to use either IBIS-1 or IBIS-off via the switch on the 12-40 lens, never IBIS-Auto.

Am I missing something?

2. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    I don't see this on my EP5 (firmware 1.7). I've tried M, A, S, P and iAuto. iAuto is interesting in that it resets the focus home to the entire screen despite that I have it set in the menu to the center point. So I would not be surprised that IS might get reset as you say.

On the other hand (which here is a euphemism for "I'm no help for you"), I have been wondering what the difference really is between setting Auto and setting 1. IS 1 is (5-axis) as is stated on the camera "functions in all directions by detecting camera movement". Auto says "camera determines". As far as I know, the hidden little guy inside always handles stabilization for me so to me it is always automatic unless it is off. 2 & 3 may be stabilized in one direction or other, which I understand. But Auto does "what?" that is so different than 1?

Edit: I did just notice that when looking through the menu the IS settings are Auto, 1, 2, 3, off. If I choose 1 there, that is what shows in the Super Control Panel (SCP). But if I open the IS setting through SCP, it still shows that 1 is selected, but the title (above it) shows Auto.
    SCP:
    Off = off; 1 = Auto; 2 = vertical; 3= horizontal; Auto = landscape panning.
    Menu 2:
    Off = off; 1 = all directions; 2 = vertical; 3 = horizontal; Auto = camera determines

Perhaps this is the problem: 1 and Auto don't seem to be stated the same way in Menu 2 vs. SCP

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2013
    Nelson, NZ
    David
    My understanding is that IS-Auto will switch to IS-2 or IS-3 if the camera thinks that this is appropriate, based on camera movement, while IS-1 is the full 5 axis stabilizer.

Which does not answer the OP question. I only leave my E-M5 Mkii on IS-Auto. Would be good to know which camera is showing the problem?

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Did you assign the M dial position to a stored setting? Some of the cameras support that.

5. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    No. C1, C2 and C3 are the stored settings, not M.

6. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    Sorry, I am using the E-M1 mark II; I should have stated that.

The behavior is random: usually, when switching to Manual, my last-used IBIS setting (1) is applied as I'd expect. Randomly, I am seeing IBIS (Auto).

Edit: when I say 'random' I should more precisely say 'random to me' because there might be an underlying pattern.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    Whilst in Manual mode I selected IS to be '1' via the settings menu. I'd expect that, when in future I return to 'Manual' mode, my previously selected and saved IS choice would be respected.

Sometimes, when returning to Manual mode, the camera display - and also the settings screen - asserts that the IS is in 'Auto' made.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I think the only things remembered associated with the mode settings are shutter speed and aperture.

9. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    My understanding is that the C1,2,3 settings remember everything.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That is so. I was referring to what information about the other modes was stored in the C1 etc settings. You can recall those settings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.