IBIS Settings: is this a firmware bug?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fitzrovian, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    IBIS-1 randomly resets itself to IBIS-Auto within Manual mode.

Whilst in manual mode - the 'M' setting - IBIS occasionally and randomly turns-on as IBIS-Auto, which I never want. I have programmed manual mode to use either IBIS-1 or IBIS-off via the switch on the 12-40 lens, never IBIS-Auto.

Am I missing something?

2. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    I don't see this on my EP5 (firmware 1.7). I've tried M, A, S, P and iAuto. iAuto is interesting in that it resets the focus home to the entire screen despite that I have it set in the menu to the center point. So I would not be surprised that IS might get reset as you say.

On the other hand (which here is a euphemism for "I'm no help for you"), I have been wondering what the difference really is between setting Auto and setting 1. IS 1 is (5-axis) as is stated on the camera "functions in all directions by detecting camera movement". Auto says "camera determines". As far as I know, the hidden little guy inside always handles stabilization for me so to me it is always automatic unless it is off. 2 & 3 may be stabilized in one direction or other, which I understand. But Auto does "what?" that is so different than 1?

Edit: I did just notice that when looking through the menu the IS settings are Auto, 1, 2, 3, off. If I choose 1 there, that is what shows in the Super Control Panel (SCP). But if I open the IS setting through SCP, it still shows that 1 is selected, but the title (above it) shows Auto.
    SCP:
    Off = off; 1 = Auto; 2 = vertical; 3= horizontal; Auto = landscape panning.
    Menu 2:
    Off = off; 1 = all directions; 2 = vertical; 3 = horizontal; Auto = camera determines

Perhaps this is the problem: 1 and Auto don't seem to be stated the same way in Menu 2 vs. SCP

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2013
    Nelson, NZ
    David
    My understanding is that IS-Auto will switch to IS-2 or IS-3 if the camera thinks that this is appropriate, based on camera movement, while IS-1 is the full 5 axis stabilizer.

Which does not answer the OP question. I only leave my E-M5 Mkii on IS-Auto. Would be good to know which camera is showing the problem?

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Did you assign the M dial position to a stored setting? Some of the cameras support that.

5. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    No. C1, C2 and C3 are the stored settings, not M.

6. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    Sorry, I am using the E-M1 mark II; I should have stated that.

The behavior is random: usually, when switching to Manual, my last-used IBIS setting (1) is applied as I'd expect. Randomly, I am seeing IBIS (Auto).

Edit: when I say 'random' I should more precisely say 'random to me' because there might be an underlying pattern.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    Whilst in Manual mode I selected IS to be '1' via the settings menu. I'd expect that, when in future I return to 'Manual' mode, my previously selected and saved IS choice would be respected.

Sometimes, when returning to Manual mode, the camera display - and also the settings screen - asserts that the IS is in 'Auto' made.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I think the only things remembered associated with the mode settings are shutter speed and aperture.

9. fitzrovian

fitzrovian Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    My understanding is that the C1,2,3 settings remember everything.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That is so. I was referring to what information about the other modes was stored in the C1 etc settings. You can recall those settings.