1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IBIS ... really?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobWatson, Nov 10, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IBIS1.JPG

[​IMG]

Jupiter handheld E-P1 M.Zuiko 17mm F2.8 2 seconds and 4 seconds shutter IS mode 1. Expecting better? Too much coffee?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

Wow, I thought that was intentional.

Huh, maybe there wasn't enough contrast for the IBIS to lock on to?

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Looking at this photo after my second cocktail of the evening...it looks fine to me. I can see Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto just fine! :rofl:

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    4 seconds....no one can do that handheld....especially without a viewfinder to brace the camera. I'll try crsnydertx's cocktail method of viewing later and let you know how it works. :wink:

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    still trying to work out if the OP is being serious or not ?

still I like the result :)

K

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Those shots are good enough for me. Certainly much better than some other boring dot-like planet shots.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

I will try crsnydertx's cocktail technique also... how many needed and how long do you need to stare at the image? Is it kind of like one of those 3D posters?

8. RobWatson

You guys are awesome. Clearly my problem is I don't drink. I picked a good time to stop sniffing glue!

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    reminds me of the movie "Airplane"....except the quote was "I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"......LOL!

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    You sure you focused on Jupiter and not a UFO? They move around a fair bit. Hard to get a nice clean image regardless of equipment.

11. cameronp

cameronp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I actually quite like the second one. If you printed it really big and convinced someone to hang it in the Tate Modern, you could probably sell the first one for four million dollars.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RobWatson

Seriously?

Well it has got me thinking .... for those not familiar with SBIG adaptive optics accessories for astrophotography let me offer this shameless plug (I do work for the parent company so there is that). Although they work using a completely different method they do stabilize at a 10 Hertz rate and permit exposures in the 10's of minutes and longer and can correct up to 40 arcseconds of 'wobble' for focal lengths exceeding 3000mm.

If only there were some way to meld this type of adaptive optics into MFT one could basically have a steadycam built into the camera! Sort of. Imagine being able to do 10 second hand held photos and the new opportunities that would open up. Even if it could work would that really be something interesting?

13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011

Wellllllll... 10" handheld (although I had a viewfinder)

5728693663_8f0580f861_b.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But not handheld, I don't think.

15. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I think ibis turns off on shutter speeds 2 seconds or greater. It would be nice if you could force it to work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Are you sure about that? I hear IBIS working even at long shutter speeds.

17. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    There is a limit - I thought it was a couple of seconds too (on an E-P1). On my E-P3 (just tried it) it seems to be off at 2+ seconds.

18. RobWatson

It's a stretch

Hmmmm ... 17mm focal length works out to ~48 arcsec per pixel (for E-P1) so no go for the AO products as currently configured (40 arcseconds total range of corrections).

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Peoples, IBIS only works on the camera end not the subject end. So if the subject is moving it will be blurred. So apparently Jupiter is moving ... all over the place (maybe Jupiter was on its second cocktail also).

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I stand corrected. Just tried in on my E-PL2.