1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IBIS on Kit lens how does it work

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jorge Ledesma, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    I wanted to ask the more seasoned forum members or new alike how do the Olympus PEN IBIS works with Kit lens and the varying focal lengths. I remember when I had an EPL2 I would dial in the focal length on my 50mm 1.8, 17mm, etc but I never had a kit lens and now I do [the IIR].

So perhaps someone can chime in on this. Thanks,

JL

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    go to menu -> image stabilizer -> choosing IS type -> press right -> adjust your focal length. I believe the default setting is 50mm focal length.

what I don't know, what's this focal length exactly do? I usually use 14/45mm with 50mm IS focal length. I've tried using 14mm and I change the IS also to 14mm and there's no noticable differences.

can someone kindly explain it to me? What is the effect when you use different IS focal length with different lens focal length.
    oh I think we have the same question, I thought you were asking about the menu place..sorry :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    IBIS reads data from the lens for all native lenses including primes. You do not need to set the focal length, it's all done for you. For manual lenses set the actual focal length of the lens being used.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    With native lenses the lens communicates the focal length to the camera. There's no need to change any setting. You can still turn stabilization on or off and select which mode, but there's no need to set the focal length. When you switch to a legacy lens the focal length setting last set manually is still active.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's because the setting is ignored for all lenses that communicate their focal length to the body, i.e. native m4/3 or 4/3 lenses.

The information is used only for lenses whose focal length cannot be determined (because the lenses lack electrical contacts). In this case, it is used to calibrate the frequency and magnitude that the IS mechanism operates at. It makes the most difference at longer focal lengths (i.e. 200mm+).

DH

• Like Like x 2
  6. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    That's why when I put my canon 85mm, the IBIS doesn't seem to work. If I put 85mm..what focal length I should set to IBIS? 85mm / 170mm focal length? thanks!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    85mm.

Always use the actual focal length.

DH

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks everyone for chiming in and clarifying, now it makes perfect sense. So all native lenses are always stabilized [IBIS] at all times and for Legacy lenses the actual FL needs to be dialed in, excellent and many thanks. I had actually dialed in 100mm for my 50mm f/1.8 thinking its its the effective FL.

JL

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Glad you got that all cleared up. ;)

I was using the Olympus IBIS system since before they had the option of manual focal length for manual lenses. Olympus Four-Thirds cameras have always been popular for legacy lens users (even before m4/3, 4/3 was the most adaptable to all SLR lens types), so it didn't take them long to add the manual focal length - just one firmware update for all IBIS cameras.

• Like Like x 1