IBIS on half-press vs. full-press

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tuxxdk, May 29, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    Hello

I thought I'd kick in with a question I've been messing with since I saw a post here on saving battery life.

On my E-M10 I can set IBIS to activate on half-press (default) or when full pressing.

What's the difference? Besides the obvious :D

Will it be just as efficient on full press? If yes, why even the option to be able to IBIS on half-press? I can hear the IBIS working as long as I have the button pressed, so I guess it does drain unneccesarily.

Thanks!

2. Easier to compose when using long focal length lenses. Also easier to manually focus.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That's the ONLY time I have it on, 200mm or more because it does use more power.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    Thanks, guys!

I'll try and disable half-press.

My longest lens is the 14-42 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Depends on how you're set up. If - like most people - you have it set up so your view automatically magnifies when you MF on a native lens, it won't help.

My camera does this:
    - Hit MF on a native lens
    - Turn focus ring...automatically magnifies the view
    - Half-press the shutter, and it activates IBIS, but also goes OUT of magnified view and gets ready to take the picture. Therefore, I can't have IBIS and the magnified MF view at the same time.

Therefore, as far as I can tell, if you have the focus-ring-turn activated magnification turned on, you can't have IBIS at the same time. I really have to cancel half-press IBIS.

6. If I do what you describe, I get the same result as you do.

But It seems to depend on the order in which you do things. If I half-press the shutter first, then activate MF by turning the focus ring, I get magnified view with IBIS operating. Since I only use MF to fine-tune autofocus results, this is naturally how I operate.

A matter of personal choice. Neither is right or wrong, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Interesting...thanks...how long does it take the IBIS to time out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.