1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

IBIS on half-press vs. full-press

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tuxxdk, May 29, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    Hello

I thought I'd kick in with a question I've been messing with since I saw a post here on saving battery life.

On my E-M10 I can set IBIS to activate on half-press (default) or when full pressing.

What's the difference? Besides the obvious :D

Will it be just as efficient on full press? If yes, why even the option to be able to IBIS on half-press? I can hear the IBIS working as long as I have the button pressed, so I guess it does drain unneccesarily.

Thanks!

2. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Easier to compose when using long focal length lenses. Also easier to manually focus.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That's the ONLY time I have it on, 200mm or more because it does use more power.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    Thanks, guys!

I'll try and disable half-press.

My longest lens is the 14-42 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Depends on how you're set up. If - like most people - you have it set up so your view automatically magnifies when you MF on a native lens, it won't help.

My camera does this:
    - Hit MF on a native lens
    - Turn focus ring...automatically magnifies the view
    - Half-press the shutter, and it activates IBIS, but also goes OUT of magnified view and gets ready to take the picture. Therefore, I can't have IBIS and the magnified MF view at the same time.

Therefore, as far as I can tell, if you have the focus-ring-turn activated magnification turned on, you can't have IBIS at the same time. I really have to cancel half-press IBIS.

6. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

If I do what you describe, I get the same result as you do.

But It seems to depend on the order in which you do things. If I half-press the shutter first, then activate MF by turning the focus ring, I get magnified view with IBIS operating. Since I only use MF to fine-tune autofocus results, this is naturally how I operate.

A matter of personal choice. Neither is right or wrong, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Interesting...thanks...how long does it take the IBIS to time out?