IBIS on half-press vs. full-press

tuxxdk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin
Hello

I thought I'd kick in with a question I've been messing with since I saw a post here on saving battery life.

On my E-M10 I can set IBIS to activate on half-press (default) or when full pressing.

What's the difference? Besides the obvious :D

Will it be just as efficient on full press? If yes, why even the option to be able to IBIS on half-press? I can hear the IBIS working as long as I have the button pressed, so I guess it does drain unneccesarily.

Thanks!

tuxxdk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin
Thanks, guys!

I'll try and disable half-press.

My longest lens is the 14-42 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Easier to compose when using long focal length lenses. Also easier to manually focus.
Depends on how you're set up. If - like most people - you have it set up so your view automatically magnifies when you MF on a native lens, it won't help.

My camera does this:
- Hit MF on a native lens
- Turn focus ring...automatically magnifies the view
- Half-press the shutter, and it activates IBIS, but also goes OUT of magnified view and gets ready to take the picture. Therefore, I can't have IBIS and the magnified MF view at the same time.

Therefore, as far as I can tell, if you have the focus-ring-turn activated magnification turned on, you can't have IBIS at the same time. I really have to cancel half-press IBIS.

Depends on how you're set up. If - like most people - you have it set up so your view automatically magnifies when you MF on a native lens, it won't help.

My camera does this:
- Hit MF on a native lens
- Turn focus ring...automatically magnifies the view
- Half-press the shutter, and it activates IBIS, but also goes OUT of magnified view and gets ready to take the picture. Therefore, I can't have IBIS and the magnified MF view at the same time.
If I do what you describe, I get the same result as you do.

But It seems to depend on the order in which you do things. If I half-press the shutter first, then activate MF by turning the focus ring, I get magnified view with IBIS operating. Since I only use MF to fine-tune autofocus results, this is naturally how I operate.

A matter of personal choice. Neither is right or wrong, of course.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
If I do what you describe, I get the same result as you do.

But It seems to depend on the order in which you do things. If I half-press the shutter first, then activate MF by turning the focus ring, I get magnified view with IBIS operating. Since I only use MF to fine-tune autofocus results, this is naturally how I operate.

A matter of personal choice. Neither is right or wrong, of course.
Interesting...thanks...how long does it take the IBIS to time out?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom