1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ibis mm settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elj4176, Aug 18, 2012.

1. elj4176

elj4176 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    I searched for the answer to this but didn't see it (prob missed it) but -

If I'm using a native m43 lens (40-150) and ibis is set to 1 and I'm shooting in manual mode do I have to go into the settings and change the ibis mm setting to 150mm in order for ibis to work properly?

It seems like it should be able to read the info from the lens and adjust itself accordingly but it doesn't appear to work that way. I was trying to get some shots of some herons at quite a distance and I couldn't get a sharp shot to save my life. I forgot about changing that setting and it was set to 50mm while I was shooting @ 150mm. Live view was bouncing all over the place. I tried again the next day with it set to 150mm and it was better but still nothing sharp. I tried both manual focus and auto focus with similar results.

Could be I was just too far away but it made me wonder if I'm supposed to be changing that setting every time I change my lens to get teh sharpest results. What if I am shooting at the wide end of the 14-42 - do I set it to 14 or 42 or whatever focal length the lens is at?

Thanks

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Ibis is set automatically with native lenses. The only time you'll have to change this setting is with legacy lenses.

If using an em5, see page 49 of your manual: "Choosing a focal length (Micro Four Thirds/Four Thirds System lenses excluded)"

• Like Like x 1
  3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    What camera body are you shooting with? With my E-M5, the 'mm' selection is gray (though I can still change it) when I'm shooting with a native lens. Maybe try cleaning the contacts??? Seems kindof weird that it wouldn't be reading the focal length.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

No. With native lenses, the IBIS should set itself automatically, with the mm selection grayed out by default. It's only when you're using adapted manual lenses that you have to go in and set it manually.

As for your trouble with the heron, my experience using both telephotos and the m4:3 system is this: that 150mm lens has an effective 300mm view, which is pretty long, so for best results your shutter speed needs to be at least 1/300ish, maybe a stop or two slower with the IBIS. The more shutter speed you can give longer lenses, the better.

I've also found that the cameras have a hard time getting a sharp shot of a small bird off in the distance - I think the focus point is too big and isn't able to lock onto the bird itself, so much as the general area around it, which may end up being the background even more distant. It can be very frustrating...

• Like Like x 1
  5. elj4176

elj4176 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    It doesn't seem to be setting the mm automatically though. I'm using an e-m5 and I've tried it with the 12mm, 14-42 II and the 40-150 - all Oly m43 lenses. I also tested the panny 20mm 1.7.

I do see the mm in the live view change when I zoom in or out. In the scp under the IS 1 I do see the mm reported on the right hand side but it does not change when I zoom in or out. It stays at whatever mm I have it set at in the menu in the stabilization section. For instance when I put the 12mm on it was still showing at 150mm in the stabilization menu and in the scp. Shouldn't it change to 12mm?

Maybe I'm looking for problems where there aren't any but I did see a difference on the 40-150 when I set ibis to 150mm compared to 50mm.

6. heedpantsnow

Jul 24, 2011
    the mm in the IS section of the menus & SCP will not change according to the mm of the lens; it is gray and static when you have a native lens and white when you have an adapted lens. If the camera is reporting the mm in the live view, et al., then the problem is not that the camera doesn't know the mm for the IBIS. Sorry that might not be much helpl

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Chances are his mm selection is grey as well... but if you only own native lenses and haven't tried legacy lenses on your camera then you may not be able to tell the difference. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. elj4176

elj4176 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
    so to sum it up: if I'm shooting with native m43 lenses then I don't need to worry about that setting (ie. it doesn't matter what mm it is set to in the menu).

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Correct.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Not 100% correct!!!!

There are native m43 lenses that DON'T communicate with the camera, like the Samyang 7.5mm and Lensbaby...for these lenses you also have to set the IS focal length, or turn off IS.

Also if you use a regular 4/3 lens with the adapter, you don't need to set the IS focal length...unless again the 4/3 lens doesn't communicate with the camera.

11. heedpantsnow

Jul 24, 2011
    Correct! Sorry, forgot about those. Also Voightlander, etc. Any lenses that don't connect electronically to the body would fall into that category. :redface: