IBIS Issues on EM5 or Isolated Incidents?

dezignman

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm new at this forum, and this is my first thread.

Comments on another forum mention issues with the IBIS on the EM5. The thread states that many issues have been reported regarding an inability of acquiring good IBIS results when using various lenses and at different shutter speeds. Some speculate that this might be a more widespread problem because other users might not scrutinize their results carefully.

I've heard nothing but good reports of the IBIS on the EM5 prior to this thread, but it brought out other users with similar problems. I know that there are always isolated incidents with all photo equipment, but I am concerned about this one as I have an EM5 in shipment now, and IBIS was an important factor in my decision to get an EM5.

I would like to ask users whether they experienced any inconsistencies with the IBIS on the EM5.

Thanks in advance.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No major problems on my side.... just one observation..

For the most part, the IBIS of the E-M5 is great until I get to about the 300mm focal range on the panny 100-300mm. Its almost as if it hits a limit and can't seem to compensate. that's when I usually turn it off and turn on the IS on the lens itself.

Not sure if its just me... or if anyone else noticed it too...

dezignman

Mu-43 Rookie
I found that 300mm isn't the strongest focal length of that lens. What's happening exactly?

Thanks for the reply.

Real Name
Nic
The effect of image stabilisation is hard to quantify because more than most things it is very dependent on the human element. I can confidently say that at the focal lengths where I use the camera 95% of the time (about 9-50mm) it is demonstrably better than any other system I have used and I can't say that I have found any particular circumstances that cause it to trip up. Quantifying that is harder since I can't compare the E-M5 IBIS back-to-back with any similar IS system and guarantee that I shake the camera the same amount in the same direction at the same frequency each time. I've hardly used the E-M5 at longer focal lengths so I have no comment to offer there.

Pennington

Mu-43 Regular
I'm on the fence here, as I cannot get good images with the Panasonic 100-300 on my one E-M5 body. Up to now I'd only ever used it on that body and kept blaming the lens, going so far as to send it in for service (Panasonic told me there was nothing wrong with it.)

When I sent that E-M5 body in for (unrelated) service, I finally tried the lens on my second body and got better results. Which leads me to believe the issue was with the camera, not the lens. And I specifically suspect with the IBIS.

Oly is checking out the IBIS on that body while they have the camera, so we'll see what they say. I wouldn't call it a huge problem, since the IBIS works great with every other lens I own, but there may be something a little fishy with it.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
No problems here and, to tell you the truth, I don't bother trying to replicate the problems other people report. It doesn't make sense to me. If a problem presents itself, then I may investigate it further. No need to worry beforehand.

The IBIS in the E-M5 is spectacular, compared with lens IS systems I've tried before. Consider this: another camera may (in paper) have better noise performance at a given high ISO setting. What's the point if you can't shoot it due to IS issues? If you gain even one stop of ISO due to the IBIS, you have as good (or better) noise performance.

Of course, any IS is not exactly a tripod! I guess some people overestimate what it really does, and what it's for.

dre_tech

Mu-43 Veteran
We should all spend 20% of our time scientifically testing our equipment as forum gurus state. :tongue:

Have I scrutinized my equipment like the manufacturer's QC? No, I've done it differently. Does the E-M5's IBIS work as advertised with all the lenses I have? Yes!

You'd have heard about it if it was widespread. Anyway, these days if 100 people have a particular problem you'll hear 10 of them on a forum repeating that particular problem a few times.

Enjoy your new camera! And that very slight humming/buzzing sound of your camera is perfectly normal. :thumbup:

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
We should all spend 20% of our time scientifically testing our equipment as forum gurus state. :tongue:

Must have missed that advice. :tongue:

Have I scrutinized my equipment like the manufacturer's QC? No, I've done it differently. Does the E-M5's IBIS work as advertised with all the lenses I have? Yes!

I like the way you think mate. :smile:

You'd have heard about it if it was widespread. Anyway, these days if 100 people have a particular problem you'll hear 10 of them on a forum repeating that particular problem a few times.

For the OM-D, I have to respectfully point out you may near 90 people instead of just 10. This is not a Canon Rebel; the vast majority of OM-D owners are enthusiasts and more likely to frequent fora such as this.

Enjoy your new camera! And that very slight humming/buzzing sound of your camera is perfectly normal. :thumbup:

Amen! Wait.. what buzzing sound? Nah... must be all those gigs with 100W amp stacks, heavy handed drummers and standing too close to the crush all the time... I can hear nothing remotely peculiar myself... :tongue:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I find the IBIS on the E-M5 excellent & also with my 4/3's ZD70-300 lens @ 300mm too. I would suggest if using the Panasonic 100-300 that if it performs better with its own optical IS, then use that instead. At least there is the option to use whatever works best. Part of the thing that has affected IS on earlier E series bodies (e.g. E30), I found that leaning the elbows on something solid had a detrimental outcome with the image compared to just free holding the camera & letting the IS doing its job.

htc

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Harry
Of course, any IS is not exactly a tripod! I guess some people overestimate what it really does, and what it's for.

The old and wise man said that you have to use at least 1/1000 shutter speed to get at least average results with that focal length. If you want good results you have to know and respect that focal length. It's not an easy job to keep that 600 mm steady. It's not an easy job for OIS or IBIS either.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have not had any problems with any of my four lenses on the OM-D, specifically including the 100-300mm at 300mm. Bluntly, I think a lot of talk about problems on forums is just talk. :frown: Nothing is perfect, but the OM-D is a very solid camera. When you get into IS systems, as others have said, there is a large degree of individual variation due to how the equipment is being used.

I'm new at this forum, and this is my first thread.

Comments on another forum mention issues with the IBIS on the EM5. The thread states that many issues have been reported regarding an inability of acquiring good IBIS results when using various lenses and at different shutter speeds. Some speculate that this might be a more widespread problem because other users might not scrutinize their results carefully.

I've heard nothing but good reports of the IBIS on the EM5 prior to this thread, but it brought out other users with similar problems. I know that there are always isolated incidents with all photo equipment, but I am concerned about this one as I have an EM5 in shipment now, and IBIS was an important factor in my decision to get an EM5.

I would like to ask users whether they experienced any inconsistencies with the IBIS on the EM5.

Thanks in advance.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
The old and wise man said that you have to use at least 1/1000 shutter speed to get at least average results with that focal length. If you want good results you have to know and respect that focal length. It's not an easy job to keep that 600 mm steady. It's not an easy job for OIS or IBIS either.

That's when the 5 axis IS system is seen as being very effective when hand held, like it did for me here with 1/640 sec at 300mm.
It's still not the best photo of the moon, but not bad either with this close crop of it. I've seen a really good one taken with the Bigma on the E-M5 which really shows how good the IBIS is.

O7060861-cr-s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes it can have problems with some bodies and some lenses. The problem area is shutter speeds around 1/60 to 1/125. For instance, mine horribly double images at 1/80 with the 45/1.8 when held steadily to my face but is tack sharp at 1/25. It is also sharp if I hold it with one hand at 1/80. Multiple people have recreated this problem. Multiple people have also tried their very best to recreate the problem and have no issues. It clearly varies from body to body.

You can safely ignore all the people who claim the problem doesn't exist on other peoples cameras they have neve used. These folks are the useless dregs of the Internet. You can similarly ignore the people who claim IBIS is totally flawed and demand recalls and such. Same category as the others.

For me, despite the fact my body has an IBIS "problem" at around 1/80 it is an absolute miracle at much lower shutter speeds and I'm quite happy to work around the issue while I decide whether or not to send it to Olympus.

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom