IBIS has opened new doors for my travel photo's

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NCV, Mar 27, 2016.

1. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I bought my EM5 to lighten up the load when I hike in the Apennine mountains, but it is another aspect of the EM cameras which continues to amaze me.

I like to do Architectural photography and the only way to see certain places is to partake (unwillingly) in a guided tour with all the limits of time and crowding.

So with no tripod, IBIS gets the pictures done often at 1/15 in the interiors of dark ancient monuments that I visit.

FF would give me better technical quality in theory (but I would need a tripod as IS gives about 2 stops I believe), but in practice the superior Olympus stabilizer wins out for me.

So for now the siren call of FF can be postponed for now as far as I am concerned.

Here is a recent set at the San Benedetto Monastery near Mantua, Italy where for the iteriors IBIS helped a lot.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Nice pics, and in the end a nice pic is a nice pic no mater the camera. I have the em5ii and the Sony a7ii (FF with IBIS). The only difference I see with the Sony is pushing a file at high iso and DoF at shorter FoV's. I reach for my em5ii most of the time and I don't see the huge quality difference I keep reading about. Saying all that I love shooting old glass on the Sony.
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Consider carrying a monopod with a small ball head plus a couple of bungee cords. There are plenty of sites on the internet that illustrate monopod techniques. In addition, you can use the bungee cords to lash the camera to a railing, a tree, or something else that will make it as solid as a tripod. A monopod also serves well as a trekking pole. My preference is the 5- or 6-section models that collapse to around 17" (plus the head).

I am all for vibration reduction technologies but I also believe that there is no such thing as a camera that is too stable.
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Oly's IBIS is the primary reason that I keep a couple of Oly bodies (E-P5/VF4 and PEN-F) on hand. There are circumstances, especially with unstabilized lenses, where their IBIS is a major benefit.

That said, the dual IS that I have used with the GX8 and various stabilized Pany lenses is fantastic, as well. We have a lot of great gear to choose from these days!
  5. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I have a monopod that I used to use with my 300 2.8 on the Nikon.

When I visit these monuments in Italy, the monopod would cause problems with the authorities; they barely tolerate photography as it is.

I actually use a tripod when I can.