1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

IBIS has opened new doors for my travel photo's

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NCV, Mar 27, 2016.

1. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I bought my EM5 to lighten up the load when I hike in the Apennine mountains, but it is another aspect of the EM cameras which continues to amaze me.

I like to do Architectural photography and the only way to see certain places is to partake (unwillingly) in a guided tour with all the limits of time and crowding.

So with no tripod, IBIS gets the pictures done often at 1/15 in the interiors of dark ancient monuments that I visit.

FF would give me better technical quality in theory (but I would need a tripod as IS gives about 2 stops I believe), but in practice the superior Olympus stabilizer wins out for me.

So for now the siren call of FF can be postponed for now as far as I am concerned.

Here is a recent set at the San Benedetto Monastery near Mantua, Italy where for the iteriors IBIS helped a lot.

P3203476_DxO.JPG

P3200080_DxO.JPG

P3203388_DxO.JPG

P3203442_DxOxx.JPG

P3203393_DxOxx.JPG

P3200061_DxO.JPG

P3200025_DxO.JPG

P3200189_DxO.JPG

P3200028_DxO.JPG

P3200019_DxO_DxOVP.JPG

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Nice pics, and in the end a nice pic is a nice pic no mater the camera. I have the em5ii and the Sony a7ii (FF with IBIS). The only difference I see with the Sony is pushing a file at high iso and DoF at shorter FoV's. I reach for my em5ii most of the time and I don't see the huge quality difference I keep reading about. Saying all that I love shooting old glass on the Sony.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Consider carrying a monopod with a small ball head plus a couple of bungee cords. There are plenty of sites on the internet that illustrate monopod techniques. In addition, you can use the bungee cords to lash the camera to a railing, a tree, or something else that will make it as solid as a tripod. A monopod also serves well as a trekking pole. My preference is the 5- or 6-section models that collapse to around 17" (plus the head).

I am all for vibration reduction technologies but I also believe that there is no such thing as a camera that is too stable.

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oly's IBIS is the primary reason that I keep a couple of Oly bodies (E-P5/VF4 and PEN-F) on hand. There are circumstances, especially with unstabilized lenses, where their IBIS is a major benefit.

That said, the dual IS that I have used with the GX8 and various stabilized Pany lenses is fantastic, as well. We have a lot of great gear to choose from these days!

5. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I have a monopod that I used to use with my 300 2.8 on the Nikon.

When I visit these monuments in Italy, the monopod would cause problems with the authorities; they barely tolerate photography as it is.

I actually use a tripod when I can.