IBIS E-M1 vs. E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by htc, Oct 3, 2013.

1. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes... either that or the grip makes a difference to handholdability....

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't see a lot of difference. The total variability, from best to worst, is far greater than the difference between the two cameras, which means the precision of the test is very low. If he repeated it again you might see results trending the other way.

OTOH, I'm not sure this test is at all meaningful. 1 second at a 150mm equivalent is, unless I counted on my fingers wrong, about 7 stops. No camera maker claims their IS is that good. A more meaningful test would be to compare them at 2 stops, then 3, then 4, and see if one is markedly better at speeds within their claimed performance envelope.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I agree. A test of fewer stops would be more interesting. A shutter speed of one second with that lens is a good example of random hand shake more than anything else.

4. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    In reply to the both of you, one thing to note is that Olympus has specifically stated that most of the improvement has been done in the slower shutter speed range. So this could either mean it does better at slow shutter speeds in general, or that the degradation from say 3 stops to 5 stops is less pronounced.

Here is another test more within the actual 5-stopish range: http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-low-light-performance/

Unscientific, but also consistent with the couple of other tests I've seen as well (Robin Wong's, some forum members).

That said, I don't know whether the presence of a grip/the extra weight matters, but whatever helps!