Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Oct 21, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
  2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    panasonic's dual IS is only currently supported on the gx8 and select panasonic lenses with ois.
    so it's safe to assume that olympus will also limit compatibility of their version of dual IS, if they do indeed implement dual IS.

also olympus's 5-axis and 3-axis ibis seem to be effective enough for the lenses currently available.
    so putting in dual IS in current models does not seem worth the r&d cost.
  3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    So if you put a new 300Pro on a current body.....you do either IBIS or OIS.....and not dual? That is how the Oly bodies work today. I tell my EM-1 to ignore the Panny 100-300 OIS. That scenario sounds like a waste of development time on the lens side and a competitive disadvantage to leave dual stabilization to Panasonic.
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    First off, the rumor has no rating.........so can't tell how true it is. I also do not buy the IBIS is not effective for long focal lengths. I spent over a year shooting 90% of my photos with an EM5 and a Canon FD 400mm ƒ4.5 and there was never a time that I felt the IBIS was not up to the task. I guess when the official announcement from Olympus comes out we will finally know for sure. If they did put OIS in the lens it is not because IBIS is not up to the task (spent way to much time shooting long focal length with my EM5 to even consider that a reason).
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    I really hope that Oly supports combined stabilization on all lenses that have in lens.
  6. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    Has the dual IS firmware been released yet?
  7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    We don even have firmware 4 yet with focus stacking and bracketing. No rumor of a future firmware release that would add dual IS....and to which bodies.
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Olympus did publish a patent for Dual IS but essentially it will allow the lens OIS to work fully while adding just the rotational correction (translated as roll direction) in body since that isn't possible in the lens. I would think this might be possible with a FW update (on 5 axis IS models & perhaps 3, maybe) when the 300 f4 lens is released as has happened with other lens releases etc. to allow the bodies to be totally compatible with the lens.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1