1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ibis and f stop question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by travelbug, Feb 14, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    Thinking of making a switch to an omd series camera. One question though :I always read that ibis can give you 3-5 stops more. Are they talking about full or half or even a third stops here?
    Ty

2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Full stops. I can shoot slower hand held with the EM1 than any camera I've ever used before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Keep in mind that stabilization just keeps your camera steady, not the world. If you are shooting anything that moves, the ability to shoot at 1/4 second vs 1/60 doesn't help much! It is useful in the right conditions, but keep your expectations in check.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Right now Olympus is having a 20% off sale on refurbished stuff. EM1 and EM5 II are under $600. This is huge saving so if you are really in the market give it some thought.
    Reconditioned Cameras - Outlet | Olympus

• Like Like x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep, its utility totally depends on the kinds of subject you shoot.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Since you saw my post, I did notice that the EM1 is out of stock. The Em5 II is a comparable camera. There are EM10 available for under $300, but the EM5 II is worth the difference. It's an incredibly nice camera for $580.

7. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    Yes I saw that earlier and that is indeed an amazing deal. Unfortunately, I am from Asia and would rather not have the camera mailed to my residence because of theft/customs issues.

If I can get someone to bring it over then I'll definitely get the em5ii. If not, then I'll probably have to settle for a locally purchased em10ii at 600usd or a little less brand new. My sister will be in the US next month, I could have her bring it home (June) but that may be a tad too late for me.

Is there a compelling reason for the em5ii aside from the 50mb pic (which I won't be using) and weather sealing (which is moderately important to me).

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sorry. I didn't know where you were and I did;t mean to tease a price you can't get.:oops:

9. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    Thanks for the reminder. It will only be important to me during low light settings.

10. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    not at all, i was actually able to place an order and im having it delivered via forwarder service. much thanks for the heads up.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    IMO, vibration reduction claims are pretty much a swamp. First of all, what kind of vibration? Is it based on actual measurements of people taking pictures? Secondly, how is the vibration physically simulated to allow comparison between products? Finally, what is the criterion for the acceptability level of reduction?

Well, the Japanese "Camera & Imaging Products Association" (CIPA) has developed a testing protocol that does attempt to be an objective measure. It's pretty impressive. Shaker table, actual field test data, .. the whole deal. Check out CIPA DC-011 Measurement and Description Method for Image Stabilization Performance of Digital Cameras: Home. (Interestingly, CIPA tests with vibration in only two axes (yaw and pitch) because their real-world data from instrumenting photographers says that vibration in other axes is "negligible." So much for "5 axis" stabilization!)

So, first, a manufacturer's claim for "X" stops of improvement is liars poker unless the claim is the result of testing to the CIPA specification. If they have tested to the spec, you can be sure they'll say so.

Second, the old rule: "Data is not the plural of anecdote." applies here. There are any number of anecdotes on web pages, in forum posts, etc. Many of the positive ones are written by fan-boys who have no means of doing objective testing. Read this: Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to understand where many are (unconsciously) coming from. Even reviewers who are honestly trying to be as objective as possible really have no way to know whether their personal vibration from shot to shot is close enough to identical to be valid enough to constitute an objective test.

So, ... My personal approach to the problem is based on the belief that there is no such thing as a camera that is too stable. So I stabilize to the maximum extent possible, then take whatever improvement my camera and lens give me -- without trying to measure the virtually unmeasurable.

YMMV or course.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1