1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IBIS and exposure question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mgw, May 28, 2016.

1. mgw

mgw New to Mu-43

Aug 22, 2014
    When in aperture priority mode does the camera take IBIS into account when selecting a shutter speed? (I have an om-d e-m10, but I suppose the question applies to Panasonic bodies with IBIS as well.) I'm thinking that it doesn't based on a quick test I did. In a somewhat dark scene I took two photos - one with IBIS on and one with IBIS off and the shutter and ISO remained the same. Would I need to manually select the shutter speed (S, P, or manual mode) to really get the IBIS benefit for helping get a proper exposure when the aperture isn't particularly fast?

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    As far as I know, IBIS is completely decoupled from exposure. It'll try to stabilize the image regardless of the shutter speed; it doesn't try to minimize the shutter speed to achieve stability.

So, if I understand your question, yes, you need to keep an eye on the shutter speed to avoid situations where IBIS can't compensate for shake, and adjust the S or A settings as appropriate.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    On Olympus bodies, the min flash sync speed setting also sets the minimum preferred shutter speed.

Note it does nothing if you are using electronic shutter.

Barry

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I aperture priority mode the camera selects the "correct" shutter speed for the user selected f-stop. The correct exposure doesn't change with image stabilization. Or another way, stabilization doesn't change exposure.

Fred

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @fredlong@fredlong, hi, are you forgetting about auto ISO?

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes. Auto ISO never occurred to me.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    No, IBIS is ignored when calculating the shutter speed (it just follows the focal length x 2 rule + flash synch).
    I've heard that GX7 accounts for IBIS choosing lower ISO values. To keep ISO low just switch to S mode if you are shooting wide open. Otherwise you have to go to manual... :(

• Useful Useful x 1