IBIS and adapted zooms

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Klorenzo, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I recently picked up a beautiful tamron 70-210/3.5 to use with an E-M10. It works great with an adapter with tripod attachment and is good even adding the Olympus B300 1.7x teleconverter. Still have to try the focal reducer :)

My problem is: how do you deal with the IBIS focal lenght with a zoom? Do you keep changing it? Do you set it to something in the middle? Turn it off?

And then: what do you think is better when your lens is something like a 714mm? Better set it to 600 or 800? I suspect the best answer is just to try but maybe there is something about IBIS al super-tele that I can learn.

EDIT: IBIS wants the actual focal lenght, so 357mm for the TC, then probably 400mm is the best option (got confused with the numbers).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Good questions. My guess is that you could switch it around for each focal length, perhaps every 10 or 20 mm. That seems a bit of a pain. I have a Nikon 28-85 and 80-200mm I can adapt to my EM5 or EM1. I think that I might test it and see. You would think that setting the focal length at a longer setting would be a better option as it would allow for more compensation....but then is that too much? Up until now, I've only used primes, so switching out focal length numbers was a non issue.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't shoot a LOT with adapted zooms, but I have done a bit. My personal (admittedly lazy) approach was just to set the IBIS at whatever focal length I thought I would be shooting at the most and leave it there. Often this is at one end of the other of the focal range of the lens depending on the situation.

I guess if you're taking time to set up a shot at a particular focal length it makes sense to set the IBIS correctly. But then that sort of fiddling is a bit antithetical to the entire concept of using a zoom lens IMHO. I also suspect that the focal length setting doesn't make a tremendous difference in the IBIS although I haven't done any testing to prove that.

4. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I remember once switching from a 135mm adapted lens to a 28mm without switching the ibis focal length. As I recall, the picture showed some motion blur, which I hadn't expected given my shutter speed due to the sensor moving around.

So if you want to set one length and leave it, I would choose the short end, with the expectation that it would not work as well at the long end, but might still help a bit.

Best option would be to change it on the fly though.