1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

IBBIF

Discussion in 'Nature' started by mpresley, Sep 28, 2016.

1. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    IBBIF - Iddy Biddy Birds In Flight

Shooting with the GX85 + 100-300

P1210047_C1P-X2.

P1210012_C1P-X2.

P1210394_C1P-X2.

P1200898_C1P-X2.

• Winner Winner x 45
    • Like Like x 18
    • Wow Wow x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Nicely done,we dont have them here.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Fantastic shots.

I'm glad I sold off my 100-300. I never was able to get results like these, try as I might, and now I won't be tempted to try again. ;)

4. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    These are incredible! That lens must have a really fast focus. I'm going to have to order one.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Well done, I get the feeling there is good technique behind this result. Any tips?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Hahaha, if only it were that easy!

The Panasonic 100-300 most certainly does not have a really fast focus. But mpresley is a really good photographer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    These are gorgeous pictures. I do hope the photographer can give us a little more info about technique here. Of course, it may just be a great photographer having a great day!

8. DavideF

DavideF Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2016
    Torino, Italy
    bellissime!!!

9. AlaskaAce

AlaskaAce Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Great shots. My 100-300mm is not anywhere that sharp

10. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

11. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    You guys are too kind. I'm happy to share how I got the shots.

So, first as already pointed out, the 100-300 is not one of the fast focusing lenses. I shot a few with the 35-100 f/2.8 and it's night and day how fast the 35-100 is compared to the 100-300. I was shooting with a buddy using the GX8 + 100-400 and that focuses comparably to the 35-100.

We were shooting on the back porch of my buddies house. He had two feeders setup on the porch rail. Patience is key here. The moment we went out on the porch all the hummingbirds disappeared. We started out sitting about ten feet away and within 10 minutes they started coming back. We'd take a few shots and then I'd move closer (with his 100-400 he was close enough). I repeated the wait and then move closer routine a couple of times. I ended up about 6 feed from the feeder. That distance let me shoot at less than 300mm - it's a commonly held believe that this lens is softer at 300mm and is better around 250mm, I guess that's true but I don't see that much difference. The sharpness I got would be helped by the close distance and the low ISO (or that's my theory).

My technique to get the shots was pretty basic, There's a pattern to how these birds feed. They hover to feed, and then back off and hover again within about a foot from the feeder, and then repeat that a few times. I'd focus on the bird as it hovered to feed, and then wait for the bird to back off and when I was lucky I'd be able to acquire focus on the little guy as it hovered again.

Especially with the 100-300 there is a modicum of luck in play. I wish I could say I sat there for 15 minutes, took 20 shots and got 15 good keepers. Reality is that I sat there for two hours, and threw away a lot more shots than I kept. I missed focus a lot... films cheap :)

One other thing, the e-shutter isn't something you'd want to use shooting hummingbirds. You'll get all kinds of strange (cool?) wing patterns, disconnected wings, interesting stuff.

We shot some hummingbirds last year using four strobes circling the feeder, this year was just sunshine and luckily we had enough to usually keep the shutter speed high enough to get some shots. I was surprised at some of the shots I got at such a slow shutter speed - 1/320s on one of them.

I hope this is of some help. I am humbled at being called a great photographer. I see myself more as just being stubborn and to dumb to know when to quit.

Thanks again!
    Mike

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    One more that I processed in Black and White that I liked.

P1200898_C1P_BW%20Underexposed_sig-X2.

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Like Like x 5
  13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    ya just gotta be happy with that!!

14. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    Great shots! I took my first try at hummingbirds this year using the Oly wireless app remote trigger. It let me get the camera closer but framing and capture was difficult. Also, the day was not too bright and I was shooting way too low of a shutter speed. You have inspired me to try again (although I might have to wait until next spring).

15. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Awesome shots I'm really loving it

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. kidrussell

kidrussell Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Chagrin Falls, OH
    Chris
    Mike, great work, and an appreciated explanation. Thanks.

17. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks so much guys, I was pretty happy with what I got, I am envious of the 100-400 as far as focus speed and sharpness goes - there's no doubt it's a better lens, but the 100-300 is not bad at all for the reach you get, price is a lot more palatable too, and it's a pretty reasonable size to travel with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    To me that's the key point; understanding and accepting compromise. The best is always that, but there are often other criteria that seems to be excluded from consideration, like weight or cost.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wow nice! I understand the patience and effort involved in getting wildlife shots and your efforts have paid off. Having a feeder definitely makes things a bit easier although I prefer to get them feeding in nature.

Although ruby throated hummingbirds are common on the east coast most people are not even aware of their existence since they are so small and move so quickly!