1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ian's B&W GF1 images

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Iansky, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It has been suggested by another member that I create a post that contains my B&W photos to date as well as future ones, this way people who are interested in my work can see them grouped together under 1 post rather than spread across many.

I hope this is acceptable to all and gives some as much pleasure in the viewing as I have had in the shooting and editing.

These are a selection of some of my favourites from the total number of my images posted on this site.

Apologies to those viewing images they have seen before and I will add new as I shoot them.

Kind regards to all,
    Ian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A_quick_read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baseball.

Chillin_in_the_cab.

Fire_Guard.

Nancy.

Peeling_the_veg.

[​IMG]

Yer_nicked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Communication_lost.

Two_smiles.

[​IMG]

Half_husky_half_boxer.

Zea_2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The_deluge.

Highland_hills.

The_Old_Forth_railway_bridge.

Preparation.

Evening_water.

Down_the_alley.

Country_lane.

The_old_path.

Into_the_distance.

• Like Like x 41
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't see the original request, but I'm quite happy you compiled them :)

Have you considered an online site (like smugmug or something). There's some great work in here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Blogsite

Thanks,

I do have a blogsite that contains many of my images taken with different format/types of cameras but I have posted many B&W images taken with my GF1 here and had good feedback.

A member suggested this option purely to avoid many posts so I thought I would give it a try and see the response.

Please feel free to view my blogsite though at the link below:

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Excellent Ian. I've seen a lot of these but several of them are new to me. And it's typically strong work! This is a great baseline to start with and I look forward to seeing your ongoing additions to the thread.

One more minor suggestion - maybe change the name of the thread to "Ian's B&W photos" so we'll know who's they are as you add photos to the thread.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ooooOOOOOOOoooooh i hadnt seen the one of the woman with the swirling skirt/dress

love!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    Some great images there. Thanks for sharing

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Wow some really inspirational, brilliant images!

Hard to pick favourites, but the old boy snoozing on the bench with his dog at his feet has wonderful charm.

More please!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    All done

Thanks Ray,

I have followed up on that one - appreciate the feedback/suggestionl.

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    My Daughter

Thanks Eliot,

This is my daughter, she was attending a 1940's event my wife was running and she wanted a photo of herself in the nice flowing dress so I suggested this shot - the GF1 did a good job of capturing the movement.

10. Peter Stuart

Peter Stuart New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2010
    East Anglia, UK
    Ian
    There is a lot of terrific work here, I must confess to having visited your blog for some little while now having found it through your posts on DPR.
    Do you use the Dynamic B&W on GF1 or are these raw and PP'd. I am interested in doing a B&W project based on where I live and would love to hear your work process.:thumbup:

Keep up the good work and posting of the same - you are an inspiration.
    Peter

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    My processing methods

Thanks Peter,

I shoot only in Raw and mostly with the 20mm on my GF1 (a great combination).

I then edited in Photoshop using, Tone, contrast, Colour and levels and if I feel the need Curves, I will then use Unsharp Mask before using the Nik Silver Efex Pro2 plug in where I select Structure,Toning,Vignette and border as required before saving as a Tiff, the images for posting on this site are converted to JPEG with a maximum dimension of 1000pixels.

This is what I have done with all my images above and I hope this info helps.

Please remember though that all editing is a personal thing that requires trial and error to achieve that end result that pleases you.

Good luck,
    Ian

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Beautiful collection and very inspiring, looking forward to see more!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Ian

Ever since I first saw you over at UK/OLy site I have been in awe of your work and yes, I have been to your web site as well. Every picture that you post has a story and I enjoyed the one of your daughter......and yes, they weren't all B&W...I saw that evil eye in the dog!! Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Great shots!

• Like Like x 1
  15. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I saw it too. Great work. reminds me of the old B&W we saw in the 50s and 60s.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    What a pleasure it is to scroll through those photographs. You have the eye and the technique. So good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thank you one and all, the comments mean a lot and inspire me to shoot more and better images to share on here.

I am more than happy to also share my processing techniques or anser any questions others may have, this is after all a site designed to share and encourage others to enjoy and talk about their Mu43 equipment and images.

Me, I really do enjoy using my GF1+20mm and am more than happy with the results to the point where my full frame and rangefinder have been relegated to "The bench" for the sake of size and convenience!

As we draw near to the rumoured release of what is reported to be a genuine GF1 replacement, I am wondering what it is that it could offer me personally over and above my GF1 and realise it will have to be valid improvements aimed at the enthusiast rather than gimmicks aimed at the point and shoot market - it could be the start of the talked about split lineage of Pro targeted / point & shoot targeted cameras in the micro system or, it could be the demise of the high end micro from Panasonic.

Lets hope it's the former!

18. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ian, thank you for this thread, I enjoyed it immensely. The photo of your daughter is smashing!

• Like Like x 1
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Absolutely stunning. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I love this idea, because I love looking at your photos!! They have inspired me as well.