I wish... Olympus to make its own GM1 camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DennisH, May 11, 2016.

1. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Just a thought since I've been watching some GM1 YouTube videos. I wish Olympus made a m4/3 camera that was as small as the GM1. I like sticking within the brand. It would keep the same menu style and have its own Olympus style.

All this just because I really would like a very ultra small travel camera smaller than the PL7 that's m4/3 ILS AND by Olympus.

Might have to try out a GM1 though. $399 on Amazon

DH

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Just get a Panasonic. They're so nice. I know lots of people stick to Olympus out of brand loyalty, but there's a secret sauce to Panasonic cameras, they don't break, they feel great, and they work like champs. Olympus may have it in the jpeg colors and IBIS, but Panasonic has it in the quality of construction and design (not to mention menu system).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    But with Olympus they can do live composite, edit RAW in camera etc.

I had GM1 for a while and like the concept which is "this is mirrorless suppose like". But then i missed Olympus features.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I like live composite as an idea, but I probably only used it maybe twice the entire time I owned the EM10. In cam raw editing is next to useless.

5. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Well it is useable in photography competition on the spot. In my country many photography competition were do on the spot (usually sexy lady with bike or car type). I like this in camera raw editing since the time were not changing (the same time as the shot taken) and we can choose which setting we would like to edit or choose which one art filters we would like to use :biggrin: hehehe

It is not cheating since the camera provide this picture though. Plus no time changing on the file. The judges won't even notice hahahaha.

6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Of course, how could I forget the on-the-spot photography competitions! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    :laugh1: bwahahahaha that's why i love Olympus @agentlossing@agentlossing and you won't believe it, i bought an used Nikon D800 body using this EM5 mark I through many photography competitions on the spot. Mostly won it using edit in RAW features.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panasonic has improved greatly on both of those fronts lately.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    'There is a GM5 in the Buy&Sell for $300. I thought about it for a second, then I remembered I just don't like these little cameras. You lose the ergonomic benefits of a larger body, and unless you use one of a few truly small lenses you really don't end up with a body/lens combo that is significantly smaller from a functional standpoint. IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    True - Panasonic jpegs are great, I have zero things against the jpegs on my GM5. However, I think Olympus sort of pulled ahead with the Pen-F. The JPEG profiles approach Fuji level of great.

IBIS on my GX85 is super promising so far. It may well have toally caught up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis

What does a used GM1 go for if a GM5 is up for $300 ? The Gm5 seems like a deal since they are still $499 brand new and the GM1 is $399 brand new.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Wll my new GX85 has in-camera raw processing, so I might not be a total failure when the competition rolls into town!

• Like Like x 1
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The new E-PL8 looks a little smaller than the E-PL7. I own a GM5 and also miss Olympus features...

14. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Looks like the size of a GM5 but maybe thicker ?

DH

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Personally I much prefer the GM-5 to the GM-1. (I will not discuss an Olympus body as I am leaving Olympus because after having three bodies go bad on me in less than six months I believe their Quality control seems severely lacking.) A few years ago I had gotten involved with the Pentax Q series with the ultimate version of that, in my opinion, being their Q7. (I hate the feel and look of the Q-S1) Anyway around that time I had the opportunity to try a GM-1 and except for an improvement in image quality, the Q7 was better in every respect. I especially did not like the operational controls of the GM-1 or the way it felt in my hand. The Q7 felt much better in each of those aspects and only lost when it came to image quality. Some time later I got to try a GM-5 and it quickly became apparent that Panasonic fixed many of the poor aspects of the GM-1 especially the controls which now feel more precise and less cheap. I also like the option of using the EVF and while it is not one of the best in a camera, my belief is that it is much better than having no EVF at all. Though I currently have 11 digital cameras to choose from including my Q7, the GM-5 has become my daily companion on bicycle trips or short motorcycle trips because it easily fits into a jacket or with the 12-32mm lens will fit into some of my shirt pockets. The GM-5 with the Panasonic/Leica 15mm lens is one wicked package churning out high quality images. Here is the setup that saved the day when my Olympus failed during my December trip to Chicago. Images from that trip and from other GM-5 shooters can be found on this page. Panasonic GM5 Image Thread
    Panasonic%20GM-5%20and%20Konica%20006a.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  16. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    Well it seems like the GM5 would have been the better option, I jumped the gun early yesterday on a used GM1 so I guess I'm committed to trying it out, if I don't like it I'll just sell it. I just wanted a more dramatic size difference from my m10 II, the PL7 was too similar. One that I can easily say this is for light weight easy to carry pocket ( like the GM1 ) and one for more planned trips little more to it ( m10 II ).

DH

17. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Well, if you have the same luck as I had with the Olympus bodies you'll be keeping that GM-1 in your pocket to use when the Oly fails.

18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I like my GM1, but I miss the tilt screen of my EPL5 more than I miss the EVF.

Still don't really understand the GM1 menu, but it would only matter with manual lenses, which I can use on my Olympus cameras. Meanwhile, with a native lens, I can change exposure comp on the fly and and adjust ISO. Enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It works a lot better with the little Panasonic metal grip. You may find the GM1 handles best if you use a sort of unorthodox handholding style which you just sort of figure out from use.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DennisH

DennisH Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2016
    Dennis
    As long as I can adjust aperture priority from the back dial and let the camera do the rest then I think I can be ok with the GM1.

I'm just worried how well I'll fair with the Olympus 25mm without any IS.

Dennis